M

Raja Ampat, Sorong, West Papua

Safety in Raja Ampat, Sorong and where to stay?

Two of us are flying from Bali to Sorong and then making our way to Raja Ampat. I have couple of questions:

- How safe is the Sorong, Raja Ampat area?

- What's the best way to get from Sorong to Raja Ampat islands?

- What place in Raja Ampat do you recommend?

- How easy is it to move around the islands in Raja Ampat?

- Anyone know where we could possibly dive with Whale Sharks in the area?

A lot of questions but I really appreciate any input and advice. Thank you all!

Tracy from Singapore

Hi there,

I just organized trip to Raja Ampat a month ago. It is a truly beautiful place. :)

I didn't stay in Sorong when during my Raja Ampat trip as there is not much thing you can do over there. I stayed in Waisai instead. For the safety wise, I would say it's safe. :)

You have to go to Waisai to take your boat and exploring Raja Ampat. From Sorong, there are two options to get to Waisai which is by the air (Susi Air) with limited schedule and seats or by the public ferries (you can ask the locals where to get the ticket when you reach Sorong).

I stayed in Kri Island (Mansuar) for one night. The accommodation is simple but the underwater ecosystem over there just in front of the jetty is awesome. No need to get to far to snorkel and see plenty of beautiful fish. 

If you would like to stay near to Waisai (not in Waisai), there is also another homestay I visited at Saonek Village, less than 30mins boat ride from Waisai jetty. For simple homestay, it cost about IDR250k/pax/night.

Usually people will stay in Waisai or at one of the islands and do the island hoping. 

It will depends on what you want to see. There are plenty of good spots for snorkeling and diving, so chartering a boat and a boatman is a must. It can be costly, too as the fuel price in Papua is few times more expensive than other part of Indonesia. So, plan well and ask advice from the locals.

If you want to see the famous view of Raja Ampat from Wayag 1, you will need a covered/bigger boat as it will take quite long journey cut across the open sea. 

Aaa...I have no idea about this. :( But there is Manta Point near Aboreba to swim with the mantas. :)

Hope it helps and enjoy! Raja Ampat is awesome! ;) I have to skip other beach destination at the moment as I keep on comparing Raja Ampat to other beaches which...well....it is incomparable...hehehe...

1. Wayag 1 (attraction)
  2. Aboreba (attraction)

Claire from San Diego

A good place to stay would be Hamueco Raja Ampat Dive Resort. Clean and friendly place! Transportation is ok, but I think the best way to get from one place to another is to organize it through your hotel. 

1. Hamueco Raja Ampat Dive Resort (hotel)