Alexandre
Singapore

Raja Ampat

Backpacking in Raja Ampat (Indonesia)

Hi! 

I am planning on a trip in Raja Ampat within the next few month and I found it hard to find any info on modest, authentic accommodations: I only see luxurious resorts or accommodations exclusive to tour packages: Does anyone travelled there backpacking : any stay to recommend ? Any must do itinerary ? Any secret location you could discolse ?

I will stay about 5 nights around with a friend, maybe during Chinese new year

Jacques from Paris, France

Hi Alexandre, 

Raja Ampat is indeed a mystery. The travel time to get there from Singapore and the lack of informaiton and infrastructure there make the trip difficult. I'm interested if you find any good source of information and decent guides. I encourage you go listen to the podcast surlesroutesdelasie.com (in French). There are few episodes on Raja Ampat. You can contact Thierry (the speaker) if you would like to arrange a trip there.

1. Raja Ampat (metro area)

Alejandro from Singapore

Alexandre,

You might want to check Diving4images. Several friends have used them to do diving trips to Raja Ampat and they have helped organize their trip. I have heard amazing things about the diving there so if you are not certified perhaps you should. Some of the best diving sites in the world are within a 3 hour trip from Singapore.

Josh from Baton Rouge

I have no info for you but just wanted to thank you for the question.  I have never heard of Raja Ampat before but it looks like paradise.  Looking forward to reading the community's suggestions!

1. Raja Ampat (metro area)