Valerie

Quebec City

What are inexpensive things to do in Quebec City?

Heading to Quebec City and will be on a pretty tight budget. I'm looking for the best free and inexpensive things to check out! I love the outdoors, art, museums, you name it. Thanks!

Jean-Samuel

If you're interested, I give free walking tours covering my favorite spots and the history of the city. This year (all through 2017), the Fort St-Louis / Tunnel M.-victorin (close to the Château Frontenac) and the La Citadelle de Québec offer free admission for the 150th anniversary of Canada. On the countryside, you don't want to miss Chocolats FavorisMontmorency Falls, and the Canyon Sainte-Anne!

1. Fort St-Louis / Tunnel M.-victorin (attraction)
  2. Château Frontenac (restaurant)
  3. La Citadelle de Québec (attraction)
  4. Chocolats Favoris (restaurant)
  5. Montmorency Falls (attraction)
  6. Canyon Sainte-Anne (attraction)

James from Canada

The answers already posted are excellent. We have been to Quebec City many times and never tire of just walking around the Old City for hours. You will stumble across a never-ending series of things to see and enjoy. A few specific things come to mind along with what has already been mentioned.

Take the ferry to Levisand back (you don't even need to get off at Levis). It's inexpensive and it gives you a great view of the old city.

Take the funiculaire that runs between the boardwalk in front of the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac to the lower town. There's probably not much point in taking it both ways, so take the stairs down and the funiculaire back up.

Go into the glass blower's that's located just across from the base of the funiculaire.

Eat crepes at Le Casse-Crêpe Breton. They're delicious, affordable, and you can't ask for a more picturesque location. (You might have to wait in line for a while, though.)

Have a great time!

1. Quebec City (city)
  2. Levis (city)
  3. Fairmont Le Château Frontenac (hotel)
  4. Le Casse-Crêpe Breton (restaurant)

I honestly can't remember if it was free, but I know it wasn't expensive.  Go to the La Citadelle de Québec and watch the changing of the guards.  The views of the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac in the background make excellent photo opportunities, and I'm still trying to figure out the significance of the gold-horn painted goat....

The Old Port Market Place is an excellent way to pass some time!  Free samples of maple syrup, cheeses, wines, ice-wines, pate...it was wonderful.

And the street performers are excellent.  They have small amounts of seating around the area in front of the Frontenac, towards the water/boardwalk and in front of the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity