Tess
Columbus

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

What to do in the Puntarenas area of Costa Rica?

My first time in Costa Rica and I'm there for a day via cruise ship. What do you recommend doing in the area? I like adventure, archaeology, food.

Thanks

Hello Tess. I guess the cruise ship will get to Puerto Caldera. One day is not enough however I can recommend for you to visit Carara National Park which is a biological reserve located about 30 minutes from Caldera. If you rather prefer to spend the day in the Jaco area  you can visit a 5 star hotel  Marriott Los Sueños Ocean & Golf Resort located at Playa Herradura or visit Hotel Club Punta Leona (Superior) located in Playa Blanca (about 1 hour from Caldera). If you don't want to go that far you can visit the Macaw Sanctuary El Manantial located very close to Puntarenas downtown. Another option is to take a city tour; however, I am not sure if this activity will satisfy your expectations.

I hope you enjoy your short visit to Costa Rica!

Saludos!!

1. Caldera (attraction)
  2. Carara National Park (attraction)
  3. Jaco (city)
  4. Marriott Los Sueños Ocean & Golf Resort (hotel)
  5. Playa Herradura (city)
  6. Hotel Club Punta Leona (Superior) (hotel)
  7. Playa Blanca (attraction)

Jenn from Costa Rica

Hi Tess, If you're into food, you might want to check out Jaco Beach. Jaco is kind of like the Vegas of Costa Rica but it has some truly amazing restaurants. A few of my favorites are Graffiti, Lemon Zest, and Side Street Cafe. There are also some really beautiful beaches just north of Jaco- Playa Mantas and also the white sand Playa Blanca. Playa Blanca is by far the prettiest beach in the area and one of the best in all of Costa Rica!

1. Jaco Beach (attraction)
  2. Playa Mantas (attraction)
  3. Playa Blanca (attraction)

Shell from Phoenix

In that area there is the Marriott Los Sueños Ocean & Golf Resort it's a great place to stay.  Near there, there is a rainforest tram, Chicklets canopy tour (Ask for Alan if he is still there!).  The Marriott has golf, spa and Marina.  To the south there is Manuel Antonio National Park with lots of wildlife.  Near Puntarenas is Jaco with some local dining that can be  quite good but some places are dicey so beware. I recommend El Hicaco Restaurant andLemon Zest Lemon Zest  .  Enjoy!

1. Marriott Los Sueños Ocean & Golf Resort (hotel)
  2. Manuel Antonio National Park (attraction)
  3. El Hicaco Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Lemon Zest (restaurant)

Richard from Costa Rica

The Pearl of the Osa is an amazing destination in itself with beautiful colonial architecture albeit tropical very similar to 50's military airbase style constructions. A railroad line runs the entire length of the 7 k causeway alongside the road in and out of the tourist district.

There are very nice ancient churches to wander in and around and numerous government buildings and museums. The CANATUR organization is an agency you can also contact directly for specifics such as sites and maps. 

Another excellent option is just to walk the length of the Paseo de los Turistas towards the end or point, where you can stop for a snack or delicious meal at Hotel Las Brisas + restaurant (a friend and a fav, its #3 in the region!) and visit the beautiful lighthouse point and see the new largest public swimming pool in Central America, it is fabulous. 

Take a nice stroll around the tip and you can see the fishing and cargo port operations that cross the Bay to the Nicoya via ferries such as Tambor Navieras. Bordering the area are the mangroves full of birds, fish, and an assortment of vistas. Take the camera ready because this is the real deal and it is amazing, enjoy.

1. Pearl of the Osa (restaurant)
  2. Paseo de los Turistas (attraction)
  3. Hotel Las Brisas (hotel)
  4. Nicoya (city)