Andrew
Amsterdam

Puglia, Ostuni, Italy

Family activities in Puglia, Italy

I'm staying near Ostuni for a couple of weeks in April and May with my family. Without the guarantee of a warm sea and pool to swim in we'll need a few more day trips and things to keep my two young daughters occupied and interested. What kind of places could we include in our itinerary beyond the coast line and Ostuni itself? 

Avery from Berkeley

Hi Andrew, 

Loved Puglia, there is such an untouched charm in this town and definitely a get away from all the more touristy areas of Italy.

I agree with Maria, take a look into visiting Trulli District. My kids were so fascinated with the houses here! Yes, slightly touristy, but a great time.

Polignano a Mare is a gorgeous town worth a visit. Locals say that this town is the inspiration behind Volare by Domenico Modugno :)

If you like being outdoors, Parco Nazionale Alta Murgia would be a great place to explore with your daughters.

Lecce is a pretty historic area in terms of ruins. Worth the drive if you are into that kind of stuff! The Basilica di Santa Croce was just absolutely stunning and had my kids in awe. 

Hope you have a great time. 

1. Puglia (state)
  2. Trulli District (attraction)
  3. Polignano a Mare (city)
  4. Parco Nazionale Alta Murgia (attraction)
  5. Lecce (city)
  6. Basilica di Santa Croce (attraction)

Ostuni is a wonderful place. Not only because of the town itself but the location is great too. There are many lovely (often empty) beaches within a few minutes drive. Try Lido Morelli - Ostuni which is a long white beach with dunes and is also a Nature reserve. Riserva Naturale Torre Guaceto is also worth a trip. Just drive towards Brindisi and you can stop anywhere along the road and find an empty beach. Even in April/May the weather can be good and warm enough to swim. Your daughters might enjoy exploring the coves. Farming is a huge industry here - we sat on a beach one day while a farmer marched across with a herd of goats! Your children might well have farm animals to play with! There are lots of good towns worth a visit, like Alberobello for trulli spotting Trulli District it is very touristy but definitely worth an hour's diversion. Ceglie Messapica is a pretty little town with good places for gelato. There is a Safari zoo in Fasano which I haven't been to but it looks good. It goes without saying that, in all restaurants in Italy, children are made to feel very welcome and Puglia has some of the best restaurants in the country. In Ostuni Osteria del Tempo Perso is set in a cave which my daughter found interesting and the food is really good. 

Here are some useful links:

http://www.ostunithewhitecity.com/ostuni-puglia-local-info/what-to-see-and-monuments-in-ostuni.php

This one shows activities for children:

http://www.thethinkingtraveller.com/thinkpuglia/guide-to-puglia/general-information/puglia-for-children.aspx

Have a great holiday!

1. Ostuni (city)
  2. Riserva Naturale Torre Guaceto (attraction)
  3. Brindisi (city)
  4. Trulli District (attraction)
  5. Ceglie Messapica (city)
  6. Fasano (city)
  7. Osteria del Tempo Perso (restaurant)
  8. Lido Morelli - Ostuni (attraction)