Jose
Glastonbury

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Things to do besides go to beaches

Besides the beautiful beaches, is there anything to do in Puerto Viejo? Good places to eat?

Jose from Glastonbury

I just recently got back from Puerto Viejo, so I'll answer my own question for other people.

There are several restaurants and things to do in Puerto Viejo and surrounding locations. For breakfast, definitely go to Pan Pay, a small restaurant run by a couple of nice Spaniards. For dinner, spend some money and eat at Koki Beach, which has a great atmosphere (get the Piña Colada!!). At night you can listen to live music at Hot Rocks or The Lazy Mon (beers are 1,000 colones = $2).

While in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca you can walk on a beautiful trail to Playa Cocles beaches or you may rent a bicycle ($7 a day) and go to Punta Uva. Snorkeling is possible in Puerto Viejo itself and Punta Uva. To do snorkeling in Punta Cahuita you have to hire a boat, as snorkeling is really not allowed from the beach as it is a national park.

We stayed at Coco Loco Lodge. Absolutely recommended! At $75 a night it is a little expensive by Puerto Viejo standards (which has tons of hostels), but the bungalows are beautiful and comfortable.

1. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (city)
  2. Hot Rocks (attraction)
  3. Pan Pay (restaurant)
  4. Koki Beach (attraction)
  5. The Lazy Mon (attraction)
  6. Playa Cocles (attraction)
  7. Punta Uva (attraction)
  8. Punta Cahuita (attraction)
  9. Coco Loco Lodge (hotel)

Eunice from Turrialba

The best place to eat is Selvin's in Punta Uva, try Rice&Beans a traditional dish with  coconut milk. But beware, the service is slow. My advice is that you ask for the food in the restaurant, go for a swim at the nearby beach and come back for lunch. 

Also Jose, you should visit Cahuita. Its nearby and its a beautiful National Park. Last time I visited I saw snakes, raccoons and different birds. Great opportunity to see wildlife. 

1. Selvin's (restaurant)
  2. Cahuita (city)

henry from Costa Rica

Hi Jose, In these case I don´t have good info so far, but I will try to get it and let you know, but during the day Puerto Viejo de Talamanca it is a quiet place, the action it is at night, so enjoy this place. 

1. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (city)