• Jeffrey willson
  • "Parents 50th anniv- places to stay in Puerto Vallarta for 70 year olds?"

Jeffrey willson

Los Angeles, California

Parents 50th anniv- places to stay in Puerto Vallarta for 70 year olds?

My brother and I are taking my parents to Puerto Vallarta in October for their 50th anniversary (WOW, right).  The challenge is finding something that works for everyone (parents are in their 70's, my wife and I have a 4 and 7 year old and everyone else on the trip is in our 30's).  

My Mom wants to stay close/on the beach, my Dad wants somewhere where we can go experience the culture.  Both love food and drink, and would love to experience these things in Puerto Vallarta and not just at the hotel/resort.

My parents are in their 70's and have a tough time stay on their feet for a long time.  They are fine walking medium distance but we are planning on having to take transportation to anything of anything significant distance. 

As much as my parents deserve it we cant drop tens of thousands on the week-long trip.  Part of the draw to Puerto Vallarta is what you can get in there with a budget.  Would love to find something really nice but with a lot of value.  

We are mainly looking for advice for places to stay as none of us have ever been to the area.  But we would love to hear any advice about the town but I am sure I will post another question once we get the place to stay. 

We are open to anything from Airbnb, to hotel, to all-inclusive, its really whatever we can find that strikes a good balance for everyone with the main focus on my parents. 

Thanks for reading this short novel and for any advice.   

• Max Ray

Congratulations on your parents’ 50th anniversary. That is very exciting and you are certainly blessed to have them.

October is a good time to come to Puerto Vallarta because the rates are still low, although it can still be pretty hot early in the month.

The best part of town to stay for a varied group like this is Old Town or VIEJO VALLARTA in Spanish which is also known as the Romantic Zone or Zona Romantica. There are tons of places to stay and everything you could possibly want is within easy walking distance. There are so many choices of restaurants and lots of deals for the summer. It is also where the new pier is where you can get boat excursions or parasail or sea doo or whatever water activities you want.

One example of a nice hotel that is not too expensive is Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort and Spa which is right on the beach and near everything. Their website is at playalosarcos.com. There are many other hotels in the area. You might check out Tripadvisor for some ideas with reviews, but the main thing is that I would stay in Old Town. You really don't need an all inclusive because there are so many excellent choices for food with reasonable prices and you don't get stuck with whatever that hotel has to offer.

There are tons of cabs available everywhere in Old Town and the prices are low. You can go anywhere in Old Town or Centro which is downtown for about $4.

You definitely want to stay away from the places in Nuevo Vallarta. That is so far out in another state. There are a lot of all inclusive resorts out there, but if you want to come in to Puerto Vallarta from there, you will pay an arm and a leg for a taxi.

You might also want to check out cupocity.com which is like groupon in the States to get some good deals on spas, hotels, restaurants, or adventure excursions and you can save a lot of money and get some great ideas.

Enjoy your trip!

1. Puerto Vallarta (city)
    2. VIEJO VALLARTA (restaurant)
    3. Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort and Spa (hotel)
    4. Nuevo Vallarta (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Max a Thank You Note