Karen
Stonington

Puerto Vallarta

First week in Puerto Vallarta, any exalted things we shouldn't miss?

My husband and I love to explore:  Every street/alley; every nearby town; everything interesting high or low.

What should we see/experience in Puerto Vallarta (January) that we wouldn't figure out from a guide book? Equally, what should we forego?

We love good food, whether from a local taco stand or the finest restaurant. We love discovering unexpected shops for home goods, art, linens, jewelry, etc. Ditto re exploring cultural offerings and nearby towns. 

We only have a week ( this time ), but we cover a lot of ground in a day. Super touristy things, contrived or Disneyesque, are not our speed. What should we not miss? What should we skip (on this trip)?

Many thanks.

Matt from Sacramento

take the city bus or cab to Mismaloya.  Go down to the beach and ask one of the boat captains to go fishing and stop in Yelapa for lunch. Get there around 9:00. There are restaurants on  the beach that will cook your catch of the day.  If you don't catch anything the trip along the coast is worth the cost. .   There is a waterfall in the middle of Yelapa you can walk to.  When you get back to Mismaloya, walk up to the tequila factory in town. Dinner at The Blue Shrimp for the best shrimp fest around.  

1. Mismaloya (neighborhood)
  2. Yelapa (city)
  3. The Blue Shrimp (restaurant)

Lauren from Toronto

I may be too late, but in case you return. Try the mojitos at Joe Jack's Fish Shack, visit Karens Place in Bucerias (their tuna is to die for), and My Mexican Kitchen Cooking Classes is amazing for cooking classes or even low price catering in your condo (if you have a kitchen). 

1. Joe Jack's Fish Shack (restaurant)
  2. My Mexican Kitchen Cooking Classes (attraction)
  3. Karens Place (restaurant)

Al from Mexico

HIDDEN BEACH / Marieta Islands, Mexico

One of the must-see places in Puerto Vallarta is the world famous hidden beach. On your boar ride to the island you might even see some whales. If you don´t go there you will have to come back to check this location from your bucket list on another trip.

1. Marieta Islands, Mexico (attraction)
  2. Puerto Vallarta (city)

Carlos from Puerto Vallarta

Hi Karen, 

My suggestions for your first week in Puerto Vallarta:

- Walk the Malecon of the city (Boardwalk) Starting at 5 pm from the Hotel Rosita and ending at the New Pier of Los muertos beach at sunset! 

Malecón

- Visit Mismaloya beach and take a tour to "Los Arcos de Mismaloya" Swim and scuba dive in this amazing natural preserve.

Mismaloya

-Try a "Seafood Burrito" from  Tacon de Marlyn restaurant, Sea bass & shrimp is my favorite...

Tacon de Marlyn

- DONT MISS, a viist to "Hidden Beach" at the Marietas Island...

Also you can read my post of 10 reasons why visit Puerto Vallarta here.

CG

1. Malecón (attraction)
  2. Mismaloya (neighborhood)
  3. Tacon de Marlyn (attraction)