Sarah Harju
Massachusetts

Puerto Rico

So, we're going to Puerto Rico on a business trip in March 2014 and wondered what I must see while I'm there. Any must see nature spots or can't miss restaurants?

Gary

Check out the Las Cavernas del Rio Camuy (aka Camuy Caves). They are about a 45 minute drive from San Juan. Along the way you can stop at the Arecibo Lighthouse & Historical Park Museum, home to the world's largest radio telescope. 

You also might want to visit the bioluminescent bays on the island of  Vieques

The  El Yunque National Forest is also home to the biggest rainforest in the US.

For restaruants, check out  Carli's Fine Bistro & Piano in San Juan. It is jazz club owned by Carli Munoz who used to play keyboard for the Beach Boys in the 70's. 

1. Las Cavernas del Rio Camuy (attraction)
  2. Arecibo Lighthouse & Historical Park Museum (attraction)
  3. Vieques (island)
  4. El Yunque National Forest (attraction)
  5. Carli's Fine Bistro & Piano (restaurant)

John from West Palm Beach

Not sure what area you'll be in Puerto Rico but, when I was there, I very much enjoyed going to Piñones located in Loiza. It's a quaint little town with plenty of culture just outside of the San Juan/Isla Verde area that has yet to be tainted by the strip malls and big department stores that litter the rest of PR.  There's a scenic trail that goes through some mangroves, out by the beach and into a forest.  You can walk it or rent a bike and do the whole trail(7 miles).  There is a restaurant near the beginning of the trail called " Soleil Beach Club" that I love!  Order the churasco!  At night it gets lively.  Music, lots of people, overall good time day and night. Have Fun!  

1. Piñones (attraction)
  2. Loiza (attraction)
  3. Soleil Beach Club (restaurant)

Alyra from Puerto Rico

Hi! What Gary A. said its really great! If you dont have time to go to  Vieques, you can try the bioluminescent bay at  Reserva Natural de las Cabezas de San Juan in  Fajardo.  If you want to go to the best beaches, most of them are in  Isabela, like  Shacks Beach. You can also try  Cueva La Ventana. Also, for eating you can try  La Cueva Del Mar. Also  Playa Sucia its a great beach!!

1. Reserva Natural de las Cabezas de San Juan (attraction)
  2. Fajardo (city)
  3. Isabela (region)
  4. Cueva La Ventana (attraction)
  5. Playa Sucia (attraction)
  6. La Cueva Del Mar (restaurant)
  7. Shacks Beach (attraction)
  8. Vieques (island)

Evan from Virginia

During a recent trip to Puerto Rico, my wife and I left with the highlight being El Yunque National Forest. It's definitely a spot for nature lovers AND you might even get to swim in a waterfall. Yeah, it was awesome.

I also cannot say enough great things about our tour guide Robert with Sunset Tours. Seriously, look at his reviews on TripAdvisor! It's basically a semi-private tour from a local who knows his stuff. When we go back to Puerto Rico, Robert is the first guy I'm going to call. 

After the tour we at lunch at the Luquillo Kiosks and then hung out at Luquillo Beach. 

Shameless self promotion:  For more details about our Puerto Rico trip, check out our blog post "Five (mostly food-related) Things We Miss About Puerto Rico"

1. El Yunque National Forest (attraction)

Lynn from Merrimack

El Yunque National Forest for sure.  If you have time to take a small plane or boat over to  Culebra Island or  Vieques, they are worth the trip.  I highly recommend a night-time excursion on the bioluminescent Mosquito Bay on Vieques, if you have a clear, dark night (no moon).  If you can't get there,  Fajardo has a bioluminiscent lagoon for a lovely nighttime kayak trip.  

2. Culebra Island (attraction)
  3. Fajardo (city)
  4. Vieques (island)