Sam
Denver

Puerto Rico

Non-touristy things to do in Puerto Rico?

My friend and I are planning to go to Puerto Rico at the end of June and are looking for advice on things to do. I speak Spanish, but my friend doesn't. Any advice on good hostels or things to do where we can get a more local experience?

Micah from Humacao

There are a lot of great things to do here in PR (I moved here 7 months ago and I love it). If you like outdoor adventure, you can do hang gliding outside San Juan near Juncos. If you like caves, try out the Cueva Ventana and the other caves near there 2 hours outside of San Juan. If you want to try out PR's road to Hana-lite, take a drive on the southeast coast from Humacao past Maunabo and visit Faro de Punta Tuna (beautiful lighthouse with a spectacular view and free). Past Maunabo, the road flattens out along the shoreline and goes past many great local food spots and bars, right on the coast (near Guayama). If you go to Fajardo, make sure you visit Seven Seas Beach and the restaurant right across the street. Along this coast, it is also interesting to visit the old closed down military base at Roosevelt Roads. If you venture to the west side, there are plenty of great places to go. Check out Pozo de Jacinto or Jacob's Well; if the waves are right, the water shoots up through some fascinating rock formations. The entire northwest coast is very interesting and worth exploring, with plenty to do and see and bars and restaurants. And since you are now on the west side, don't miss Rincón (Puerto Rico) and Domes Beach and maybe get in a little surfing there. Believe it or not, I've barely scratched the surface of all the non-touristy things there are to do here in PR. Enjoy your visit.  

1. Juncos (attraction)
  2. Cueva Ventana (attraction)
  3. Humacao (city)
  4. Maunabo (city)
  5. Faro de Punta Tuna (attraction)
  6. Guayama (attraction)
  7. Seven Seas Beach (attraction)
  8. Roosevelt Roads (attraction)
  9. Pozo de Jacinto (attraction)
  10. Rincón (Puerto Rico) (attraction)
  11. Domes Beach (attraction)
  12. Fajardo (city)

Brian from Columbus

I only spent 3 rainy days in Puerto Rico, but I took a self-guided back-roads tour to the slightly remote Arecibo Observatory, the world's largest radio telescope. It was featured in a few different movies, including the final climax scene of James Bond's Golden Eye. The scenery is beautiful and the science is cool too.

1. Arecibo Observatory (attraction)

Greg from Whistler

Hotel Villa Del Sol was a great place to stay during my trip to Puerto Rico. Some things I can suggest that aren't your typical touristy things would be to vist El Yunque National Forest and Banco Popular. Many don't know that there is a museum on the third floor. Check it out! 

1. Hotel Villa Del Sol (hotel)
  2. El Yunque National Forest (attraction)
  3. Banco Popular (attraction)