BryAnn
Bainbridge Island

Puerto Rico

Is Puerto Rico worth the 12 hour flight?

My husband will be in Puerto Rico for work and I could join him for five nights. BUT I have to fly 12 hours. Is it worth it? I do love beach vacations, Hawaii is my favorite and I can get there in 5 hours.  

If I go, what are your must see experiences? Thanks!

Laura from Honolulu

It is DEFINITELY worth it!  I live in Hawaii and I am from PR and they are very similar places.  It is easy to travel in PR because it is such a small island, so you can pack a lot in one day.  Also, it is more the Caribbean/Latino experience whereas Hawaii is more of a Pacific/Asian experience.  Both wonderful, but very different.  I would definitely go for it.

Micah from Humacao

Yes! It is worth it and if you like Hawaii, PR reminds me of Hawaii sometimes, from a geographical standpoint. 

There are a lot of great things to do here in PR (I moved here 7 months ago and I love it). If you like outdoor adventure, you can do hang gliding outside San Juan near Juncos. If you like caves, try out the Cueva Ventana and the other caves near there 2 hours outside of San Juan. If you want to try out PR's road to Hana-lite, take a drive on the southeast coast from Humacao past Maunabo and visit Faro de Punta Tuna (beautiful lighthouse with a spectacular view and free). Past Maunabo, the road flattens out along the shoreline and goes past many great local food spots and bars, right on the coast (near Guayama). If you go to Fajardo, make sure you visit Seven Seas Beach and the restaurant right across the street. Along this coast, it is also interesting to visit the old closed down military base at Roosevelt Roads. If you venture to the west side, there are plenty of great places to go. Check out Pozo de Jacinto or Jacob's Well; if the waves are right, the water shoots up through some fascinating rock formations. The entire northwest coast is very interesting and worth exploring, with plenty to do and see and bars and restaurants. And since you are now on the west side, don't miss Rincón (Puerto Rico)and Domes Beach and maybe get in a little surfing there. Believe it or not, I've barely scratched the surface of all the things there are to do here in PR. 

Kirsten from Chicago

Definitely worth it! You can see the Bioluminescent Bay in Fajardo, visit El Yunque National Forest, soak in the sun at the beautiful beaches, or explore Old San Juan. Not to mention the food is fabulous. Be sure to try the mofongo, tostones, and arroz con gandules. The fact that you get the Caribbean/Latin feel and you're still in the U.S. (never have to change money, don't need a passport) is the best! Hope you get to go.

1. Bioluminescent Bay (attraction)
  2. Fajardo (city)
  3. El Yunque National Forest (attraction)
  4. Old San Juan (city)