Mac
Red Bank

Puerto Rico

Best place to move in Puerto Rico for non-spanish speaking family?

We'll be in PR for 6 months next year, and I'd like to stay in the most fun, beautiful, family-oriented areas possible. We have young kids and we're definitely looking to be close to the beach, walking distance to schools, decent internet access, etc... Thanks!

Micah from Humacao

Mac, I highly recommend Palmas del Mar in Humacao on the east coast. It is about 45 minutes from San Juan (without rush hour traffic). Beautiful location, family-friendly, many ex-pats and English-speaking in the community. My kids love it here and there are many, many day trips within a short drive from hiking to waterfalls, to snorkeling at gorgeous beaches off of Viequesor Culebra to coastal drives that are reminiscent of the road to Hana on Maui. Palmas del Mar has many options at decent prices for short-term leases/rentals. Check in with Casillas Realty and Ricardo will take great care of you and find you a great place. Palmas has parks, beaches, pools, two golf courses, 20 tennis courts, 8-10 restaurants, and much more. (Culebra)

1. Humacao (city)
  2. Vieques (island)
  3. Culebra (city)

Joshua from Chicago

After living in P.R. for two years I say hands down, you want to move to Rincón (Puerto Rico) which is primarily an english speaking community. There are a number of family friendly beaches and some great places to snorkel. There is a grocery store in town, a few gas stations and a number of restaurants. Ask around for Ode to the Elephants. It's not easy to find but has amazing food and probably one of the most beautiful views on the entire island. In Rincón (Puerto Rico) you are only about a 20 minute drive form Mayaguez which has a Sam's Club, Walmart, mall, and anything you would need that the smaller town of Rincón (Puerto Rico) doesn't. A few things to remember before you embark on your awesome six months in this country: 1. Be patient, 2. The internet & electricity will always go out. 3. Cash is king. Island living is not for those with a fast paced lifestyle. Customer service on the island is much different than here (unless you are in the San Juan area). The easy run to the grocery store takes just a little longer in Puerto Rico, so be sure to plan a little extra time for things. On the topic of schools, I'm sure there is one in Rincon, though I never paid attention to know where it is. Knowing, though, how the private schools and some colleges operate in P.R., I would suggest homeschooling your children for the brief time you will be there. 

Have a great time on the island.

1. Rincón (Puerto Rico) (city)
  2. Ode to the Elephants (restaurant)
  3. Mayaguez (city)

Amin from Kuwait

Hi Mac, I recommend living in Ocean Park or Condado because it has most of your requirements as a non spanish speaker. It is slightly more touristic which makes it a little more safe to walking and also enjoying the beach close by. If you want to live away from the capitol there are two places. Rincón (Puerto Rico) which is a nice surf town with laid back people and welcome to foreigners. Another place could be Dorado where its turning a more and more luxuries, I think Trump and The Rockefeller have developed land there. 

1. Ocean Park (neighborhood)
  2. Condado (neighborhood)
  3. Rincón (Puerto Rico) (city)
  4. Dorado (city)