Beatrice
San Mateo

Puebla, Oaxaca

Places to visit and good restaurants for culture, art and history fans?

My husband and I will spend 1.5 days in Puebla and 2 days in Oaxaca after a friend's wedding in Puebla in 3 weeks. We love great food, art, culture, history and local favorite hangout places. We typically love arts and crafts markets, cute local neighborhoods, and of course still try to cover most of the must-see historic places. 

Oaxaca is beautiful. We stayed near the Zócalo, the main city square and walked the city quite easily. Do see the Catedral Oaxaca with its ornate gold plated interior, enjoy dinner along the zócalo, and go to the main market square - it's crowded, but full of real life and many fun souvenirs. If you're adventurous try the fried crickets. They aren't bad with guacamole. Oaxaca is known for Mole and has many different kinds. The fresh fruit is amazing.

Within the city, you'll see a lot of silver, colorful wood carvings called animalitos or alebrije, bright woven wool carpets, and barro negro, a delicate black pottery. For something really special, go to the villages where these are made. Several villages specialize in these artisanal items. We found ourselves in the back yard of one artist and were able to choose a beautiful piece of alebrije for a very good price. You will see the black pottery made at San Bartolo Coyotepec. The rugs are made in Teotitlan del Valle southeast of Oaxaca. It's a tiny village with one main road. I don't remember the name of the village for the small wooden figures, but ask around. It's absolutely worth the taxi ride to go and see them where they are made.

San Pablo Villa de Mitla has a nice market.

The biggest attraction and must see is Monte Alban. The Zapotec ruins date from around 450BC and sit on a mountain. Runners go there to workout, so don't be surprised to see groups of athletes running up and down the steep stone stairs. It's easy (and cheap) to hire a taxi to take you up there and stay while you tour it, then drive you back to the city.

1. Oaxaca (city)
  2. Zócalo (attraction)
  3. Catedral Oaxaca (attraction)
  4. San Bartolo Coyotepec (attraction)
  5. Teotitlan del Valle (city)
  6. San Pablo Villa de Mitla (attraction)
  7. Monte Alban (attraction)

Gustavo Andrés from Lima (Peru)

Hi Beatrice, I've visited Oaxaca and Tiffany already suggested very beautiful places. I discovered that foreigners and travellers often know more about a place they visit than even the local people. 

That being said, I know a very close friend that would be glad to help and assist you in your 2 days in Oaxaca. 

Her name is Anna from sweden and she lives in Oaxaca, altough for security reasons I cannot share her email address here, you can look for her on Instagram: enguanabana and then contact her directly, I'll let her know that you'll probably look for her. 

Good luck. 

Scott from New York City

A great restaurant for culture in Oaxaca is La Olla, by a wonderful chef, Pilar Cabrera. I just found this tour she does too.

Here is a link to her restaurant.

Also, here is a listing of typical Oaxacan dishes and where to get them. You can spend your time eating your way through the beautiful city.

1. La Olla (restaurant)

Jose from Puebla

1. Zócalo (attraction)
  2. El Parian (attraction)
  3. Centro Histórico (attraction)
  4. Barrio del Artista (attraction)
  5. Hotel Puebla de Antaño (hotel)
  6. Estrella de Puebla (attraction)
  7. Fuerte de Loreto (attraction)