Mei & Kerstin
Larochette

Prague, Budapest

Prague or Budapest?

Hi guys! Prague and Budapest are both on our travel bucket list. And we're thinking about going to one of both in Spring 2015. Which of these two cities do you think we should visit first? And why?

Thanks for your advise! :)

Chiara from San Francisco

Hello there :)

I visited and loved them both.

Prague is smaller and has a magical atmosphere thanks to the gothic appeal. Too touristy though. The best is St. Vitus Cathedral and the view of city by night.

Budapest is bigger and the architecture is very pretty. You can really feel it was part of an empire. Less touristy. The best is Parlament

I went before to Prague and then Budapest and I really appreciated to finish the trip with a less touristy place.

Visit my Travel Blog for more travel tips!

1. St. Vitus Cathedral (attraction)
  2. Parlament (attraction)

mona from Fayetteville

Since my son and his family live in the Czech Republic I have visited many times.  Each time I add one or two major cities that are easy to get to from Prague.  Prague is so centrally located in East Europe you can do this very easily.  I'm with Brett and would suggest doing both.  Prague can be done in 3 days tops so a 7-10 trip and be split without missing anything important.  If you have more than 3 days in CZ I would suggest renting a car and going to Brno and/or Karlovy Vary.  

1. Brno (city)
  2. Karlovy Vary (attraction)

Brett from Eindhoven

I would suggest doing both if you can.  if you have to choose one with no set time for returning for the other...I would perhaps say Prague. I loved Budapest, and would say without a doubt to go there as well, but for springtime, you'll likely catch Prague less busy that in the summertime.  Budapest may be more accessible crowd-wise in summertime as well if you need to do a later return.

1. Prague (city)

Ben from London

1. Budapest (city)

Jacqui from London

Hello,

I have not been to Prague yet, but we were in Budapest last Easter (April 2014) and it was a great time to go. Must do's in Budapest include the House of Terror, the Szechenyi Baths and Castle Hill. 

If you are interested in checking out a ruin bar, which I highly recommend, check out Szimpla Bar (above) on Kazinczy utca or Instant on Nagymező Street. 

Find out more about what to do, what to expect, how much you will pay, opening hours, public transport and more here: http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/budapest/ 

:) 

Tigger from London

Both are lovely, and as the others suggest, Prague is smaller but can be busier/more touristy, particularly later on in the year. If I had to choose, I would probably go with Prague as it is small and better to head therefore before the crowds. Budapest can still be covered a lot on foot but another time. You could of course go to both if you budget allows as it would be possible to see enough of both in 3/4 days each.

Georgia from Long Island (New York)

I would go Budapest first.  It is an interesting city but moreso because it is sort of a time capsule- evidence of the good and bad days everywhere you walk.  Prague is wonderful but so well preserved it almost feels unreal.  I think if we had done Prague first, our time in Budapest might have been diminished.  Instead by the time we arrived in Prague, we appreciated so much more.