Pat
Charleston

Pat from Charleston asked

What to do to be proactive about pickpockets in Prague?

I keep reading about pickpockets.  Is it really a problem? What can we do to be proactive?

Prague   Czech Republic

Petra from Blenheim

It's kind of problem but only at very busy and very touristic places, but I believe that the situation is the same all around the world in all big cities..nothing special here...just be carefull, watch your stuff, try not to be in crowds, I think you will find some more useful information on the internet.

Oleg from Moscow

1) Carry only the amount of cash you will need for the day;

2) If you have pockets on the inside of your jacket/coat/blazer, it's better to keep valuables in there;

3) Lock up the documents and other stuff in a hotel safe/hostel locker -- I usually never take my passport with me when going out into town, because I've never needed it;

4) Don't leave your bag/purse/whatever unattended when drinking at a bar;

5) In the metro, at a bus stop, or on a crowded tram/bus, be mindful of where your stuff is;

That being said, in the 6 times I have visited Prague, nothing of the sort has ever happened to me.

It's anecdotal evidence, sure, but the pickpocketing problem is nowhere near as bad as in, say, Paris or Barcelona (I know multiple people who had their stuff stolen there).

Kimberly from Chicago

Yes it happens, but only if you aren't smart about it! I avoid carrying a wallet (if possible), split your cash in different pockets. Backpacks are big targets. Bring a side bag and keep it in the front of you or bring a money belt where you can store your cash and cards around your waist. 

Petra from Blenheim

btw what is bigger issue last years is attitude of taxi drivers in the Prague, try to avoid using taxi in the city if it is possible for you, otherwise you will spend fortune..

Honza from Prague

Be careful whenever you find yourself in a crowded situation. A friend of mine got pickpocketed (front pocket!!!) by a woman. The guy couldn't handle the situation and when he finally pushed the woman away it was too late. Another friend, a girl, got almost pick pocketed on a night tram, just when she was about to get in the crowded tram while she was waiting on the stair for people to move. How to be proactive: be careful how much you drink, that helps a lot!

Katarina from Fes

It is a problem in the crowded areas such as the view of Prague from the Castle (Na Opyši), the Charles bridge or the spot in front of the Astronomical clock in Prague. So hold on to your purse and watch around a bit. 

1. Prague (city)
  2. Na Opyši (attraction)
JJ from New York City

Use a small card holder instead of a full size wallet. Have a small amount of cash and carry cards instead; with credit cards, when you notice it's missing, you can phone your CC company to cancel the cards or dispute charges; but when the cash is stolen it's gone. 

If you're carrying a bag, make sure you can wear it in front of you and it has zippers. Honestly, the best thing to do is wear a jacket/top with interior pockets.