Rebecca
Denver

Prague

What are the most popular areas in Prague?

My husband and I are going to Prague in September and I'm unsure of the best area to stay.  Any hotel suggestions?  Any must do's while we are there?

Honza from Prague, Czech Republic

Unless you insist on staying in the city center I would recommend looking for spots in Prague 6. It is much quieter and since Prague is really small, you can be in the center in 15 minutes by tram.

1. Prague 6 (metro area)

mona from Fayetteville

The two main areas for sightseeing are the Hradčany (Castle District) and Old Town Square, both areas offer modern and old-style hotels... depends on your preference. Staying in either area gives you access to nice cafes and bars.  If you like a nightlife or bar crawl I recommend the Žižkov area or heading to Bunkr Parukářka (a 1950's nuclear bunker) for drinks. No fancy clothes needed.  Prague Castle, Charles Bridge and Old Town Square are your obvious first stops...I recommend touring the Astronomical Clock when the clock is turning so that you can see it from behind.  It's a short tour and doesn't take long.  You will be done with the major Prague sites in 2-3 days.  If you're there for a week or so I would recommend a day trip to Bratislava.  Other day trips around CZ would be Karlovy Vary, a beautiful spa town near the German border and/or Karlštejn Castle, a medivial castle in a quaint small town.

1. Hradčany (attraction)
  2. Old Town Square (attraction)
  3. Žižkov (metro area)
  4. Bunkr Parukářka (attraction)
  5. Prague Castle (attraction)
  6. Charles Bridge (attraction)
  7. Astronomical Clock (attraction)
  8. Bratislava (city)
  9. Karlovy Vary (city)
  10. Karlštejn Castle (attraction)

Kara from Los Angeles

I loved  The Iron Gate Hotel And Suites Prague, in Old Town. And you have to go to Vyšehrad castle! If you like to bike, rent electric bicycles from the rental place in the InterContinental and take them to up to Letná Park first, around the castle grounds, to Petřín hill, then down and to Vysehrad. It's a bit physically tiring, this was the best day I've had on any trip I've ever taken.

Oh, and this cannot be emphasized enough: go to The Charles Bridge at the break of dawn and stay until the sun comes up. It is pure magic at that time of day and hardly any tourists.

1. The Iron Gate Hotel And Suites Prague (hotel)
  2. Vyšehrad (attraction)
  3. InterContinental (hotel)
  4. Letná Park (attraction)
  5. Petřín (attraction)
  6. Charles Bridge (attraction)

Megan from Los Angeles

I would suggest staying in the Old Town Square district of Prague. There is a lot going on during the day and at night. But, yet it isn't too loud or obnoxious at night. By day there is all kinds of street performers out preforming various tricks or acts. There are many restaurants and gift shops located around the perimeter of the square. Not to mention that the architecture here is to die for! Many statues and picturesque buildings to photograph or instagram :). I stayed at Hostel Prague Tyn. It was a great hostel and super cheap but I am guessing that if you are going with your husband you will be looking for a nicer hotel. Unfortunately I cannot help you there as I only stayed in Hostels in Prague. I really enjoy Old Town Square because you are close to Karlův most | Charles Bridge which is always an interesting place to go, lots of people watching, artists and statues. You are also close to many metro stations which is a great and cheap way to travel around the city and to shopping in the  Staré Město | Prague Old Town area. Hope this helps! 

1. Old Town Square (attraction)
  2. Prague (city)
  3. Hostel Prague Tyn (hotel)
  4. Karlův most | Charles Bridge (attraction)
  5. Staré Město | Prague Old Town (attraction)

Taha from Morocco

It is better to stay near Old Town Square, in the heart of the city.

I experienced the boutique hotel The Iron Gate Hotel And Suites Prague and I recommend it. 

Do not miss classical music concerts in churches and do visit the multiple art galleries in the city.

1. Old Town Square (attraction)
  2. The Iron Gate Hotel And Suites Prague (hotel)

Tomas from Prague

Hi Rebecca,

nice to hear that you are coming to Prague.

Hotel:

I live in Prague, but I dont have recommendations for some hotel. Maybe write me a bit more info about which hotel you would prefer (high end 4-5*, how many dollars per night per person) and I can help you find some which would fit for you. If you are opened to spend a bit more money I would recommend you to stay at some hotel in city center, cause than you can just walk in city without using public transport.

If you prefer cheaper hotel you should stay at least close to subway which is faster to move than buses or trams. And you can get to city center in half an hour.

What to see:

Definitely city center, it is kinda small so you will not miss anything. Main sights are Prague Castle, Malostranské náměstíCharles BridgeOld Town SquarePražský orlojVáclavské náměstí | Wenceslas SquarePrašná brána | The Powder TowerJindřišská věž . I hope that I havent forget about anything, but you will see many nice buildings by just walking around:)

You shouldnt miss Vyšehrad which is a bit further from city center.

If you would like to make one day trip behind borders of Prague you should check Karlštejn Castle, you can get there by train from city center in 1 hour and approximately 4 dollars for return ticket.

If there will be nice weather and warm evenings (which are sometimes at start of September) you should visit Vltava river banks at evening, many young people partying there especially near Palackého náměstí. If you feel young, go there.

Also worth to mention is ZOO Praha | Prague ZOO which is in my opinion one of nicest in Europe.

And you cant visit Prague without tasting Czech beer and czech cuisine.

1. Prague Castle (attraction)
  2. Malostranské náměstí (attraction)
  3. Charles Bridge (attraction)
  4. Old Town Square (attraction)
  5. Pražský orloj (attraction)
  6. Václavské náměstí | Wenceslas Square (attraction)
  7. Prašná brána | The Powder Tower (attraction)
  8. Jindřišská věž (attraction)
  9. Vyšehrad (attraction)
  10. Karlštejn Castle (attraction)
  11. Palackého náměstí (attraction)
  12. ZOO Praha | Prague ZOO (attraction)

Laurance from Los Angeles

Church of the 12 Apostles at the hour. Walk on St.Charles Bridge then up to Prague Castle and church.

1. St.Charles Bridge (attraction)
  2. Prague Castle (attraction)

Bruce from Washington, District of Columbia

If you can afford it, the Art Nouveau Palace Hotel Prague just off Wenceslas Square is luxurious and they serve wonderful breakfasts.  The entire city of Prague is one big architectural wonder.  Just walk, walk, walk through all the crazy little streets, go to the two very different castles (Prague Castle and Vyšehrad), look in all the glass shops (particularly Moser) for the greatest glass ever made, buy some marionettes, and if you like jewelry amber and garnets.  Finally, music, music music - go see something, even a string quartet in the most magnificent venues ever, since Prague was Mozart's second home.  And, if you have time, take a trip to Cesky Krumlov (look it up), a UN World Heritage Sight which will knock your socks off.  

1. Art Nouveau Palace Hotel Prague (restaurant)
  2. Prague Castle (attraction)
  3. Vyšehrad (attraction)
  4. Moser (attraction)
  5. Cesky Krumlov (city)