Josh
Baton Rouge

Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Munich, Frankfurt

Visiting Prague, what other city to visit for a few days by train or air?

Planning a trip to Prague with my wife in May of next year.  Want to stay in Prague for 4 or 5 days and spend another 3 days in another city.  I was looking at travel by train but had someone tell me that travel by plane is much cheaper at this time.  Was thinking about Vienna or Budapest but am very open to other suggestions.

Ryan from Redondo Beach

I recommend checking out Salzburg. It's not too far from Prague and and it's one of my favorite cities to visit in Europe. You might even be able to shoot over to Munich if you have time.

Some of my favorite places in Salzburg:

Food: Go to the markets. There is always a farmers market going on in the Universitätsplatz. You can find everything from crepes to fresh fruits to authentic Austrian/Bavarian foods. There's chocolates and pretzels and everything you could imagine at a European market.

Beer: Everyone raves about Augustiner Bräu. And don't get me wrong you'll have a blast at this beer hall but the best beer you're going to have is at the top of the Festung Hohensalzburg. I'd do both. The last time I was at Augustinerbräu I ended up meet some really cool people and we left the beer hall and went to the castle together for a beer.

Sites: Festung Hohensalzburg is the castle/fortress on the top of the hill overlooking all of Salzburg. It has the best sites of the city and there is a small restaurant and small beer garden where you can relax in and overlook all of Austria. Most people take the tram to the castle but if you're up for it I recommend walking the hill. The walk is beautiful and the ticket price for entrance is a bit cheaper.

Don't leave Salzburg without going inside the Salzburger Cathedral. The inside is amazing! From what I remember it's a donation to get in.

If you're into it, Mozart was born in Salzburg so the Mozart's Birthplace is cool to check out. Also, the same street that Mozart Geburtshaus is on is a very famous street in Salzburg called Getreidegasse All the shops have these amazing signs hanging off the walls. Makes for some cool pictures.

Be sure to take a walk along the river. There are usually various artists displaying their art work and if you make it to the Müllner Steg which is a bridge on the river you'll have an amazing view of the city with the castle above. I'd follow the bridge across the river into new city to the Mirabellgarten. It's a big garden next to a palace.

One thing about Salzburg is it's very very picturesque. It's hard to find a place in the city where you can't take an amazing picture.

Enjoy Prague and hopefully you'll check out Salzburg!

1. Salzburg (city)
  2. Munich (city)
  3. Universitätsplatz (attraction)
  4. Augustiner Bräu (attraction)
  5. Festung Hohensalzburg (attraction)
  6. Salzburger Cathedral (attraction)
  7. Mozart's Birthplace (attraction)
  8. Getreidegasse (attraction)
  9. Müllner Steg (attraction)
  10. Mirabellgarten (attraction)

Alex from London

Okay, so first thing first, air travel prices in Europe have very little to do with how far a destination is.  With a plethora of low-costs you can fly cheaper between London and Prague than Frankfurt to Berlin.  Check out google flights to explore, and keep an eye out for low-cost carriers like Ryanair, EasyJet, AirBerlin, Monarch, WizzAir, etc.

On the contrary, train travel pricing does depend on distance. When visiting neighboring locations, trains end up being cheaper if you account for sirport transfer, flights and time spent in airports.  When travelling long distance, sometimes you can make up the price difference by taking an overnight train as that will save on hotels

Now to the fun part, my first choice for a Prague 1pairing would be Ljubljana in Slovenia.  It is a short trip from Prague and a stunning city in its own right, very underatted. Plus, you can also visit Lake Bled on your way.

If you travel by rail or road, then a trip to Slovenia comes via Austria and thus Salzburg and Vienna.  

Another option is to go east into Poland, to Krakow which is very close to the Czech border.  This is an awesome town with loads to explore in and around, including some impressive Salt Mines and the solemn Auschwitz Concentration Camps.

Lastly, within the Czech Republic, you might also consider visit one of the famour spa towns, the South Moravian Region, the UNESCO World Heritage towns of Telc and Cesky Krumlov.

1. Europe (continent)
  2. Prague 1 (neighborhood)
  3. Ljubljana (city)
  4. Lake Bled (attraction)
  5. Austria (country)
  6. Salzburg (city)
  7. Vienna (city)
  8. Poland (country)
  9. Krakow (city)
  10. Auschwitz Concentration Camps (attraction)
  11. Czech Republic (country)
  12. South Moravian Region (region)
  13. Telc (city)
  14. Cesky Krumlov (city)
  15. Slovenia (country)

Brett from Long Beach

If you want to go to Vienna then the train is the best option if you're looking to go cheap.  Budapest won't be cheap by plane either.  For cheap destinations, look at Wizz Air, Vueling, Ryanair, and easyJet and see where they fly.

1. Vienna (city)

Honza from Prague, Czech Republic

Budapest is a very cool city, which has a similar vibe as PragueVienna, on the other hand, is quite a typical "dry" touristy city.

If you haven't been to Berlin yet, it would also be a good option. It is just 4.5h train ride and the city is really cool - lots of cool places, plus the historical part including the Wall.

1. Budapest (city)
  2. Prague (city)
  3. Vienna (city)
  4. Berlin (city)

Nilufer from Istanbul

I highly recommend you to visit Vienna instead of Budapest...Berlin is absolutely another good place to see..it depends on your time and travel choice...3 days will be enough for Berlin (however you need to stick many things together to see every corner)...3 days may be long for Vienna...

let me do a comparison...Berlin is a huge, modern, chic, architectural and historical place to see...

Vienna is also wealthy and historical place to see..

In Wien top things to do:

Hofburg Palace

Schönbrunn Palace

***Schönbrunn Zoo (if you have kids, you will have great fun, I bet)

Kärntner Straße for shopping

Demel Patisserie (Royal type dessert experience)

Figlmüller GmbH (for most popular Vienna schnitzel)

Cafe Mozart (historic place to sit at Mozart's desk and enjoy typical Wien coffee Mélange)

Musikverein (you can book online tickets for a swing concert at this historical opera)

if you would like to be a royal such for a few days and hear the sound of opera at each corner, then Wien is fine for you.

if you would like to feel more like a tourist, free man/women and German citizen, Berlin is nice for you.

We rented bikes and visit all around the city rapidly..

Berlin:

Kurfürstendamm (best street in town and shopping place)

***Topography of Terror (impressive area about Nazi and 2nd WW history more than we know)

Pergamonmuseum

***Berliner Dom

***Sony Center (Lego playground is also here)

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp (Nazi's camp if you interest on)

These places take time to visit, large areas to walk around and many things to see from Pergamonmuseum to Kurfürstendamm. That's why you will spend at least 3 days in Berlin.

the choice is yours, take your time :)

for more places, you can find many other posts at www.mapkini.com

1. Budapest (city)
  2. Berlin (city)
  3. Hofburg Palace (attraction)
  4. Schönbrunn Palace (attraction)
  5. Schönbrunn Zoo (attraction)
  6. Kärntner Straße (attraction)
  7. Demel (attraction)
  8. Figlmüller GmbH (restaurant)
  9. Cafe Mozart (restaurant)
  10. Musikverein (attraction)
  11. Kurfürstendamm (attraction)
  12. Topography of Terror (attraction)
  13. Pergamonmuseum (attraction)
  14. Berliner Dom (attraction)
  15. Sony Center (attraction)
  16. Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp (attraction)
  17. Vienna (city)

I have never been in Prague but I follow a very interesting page "Czech Republic-Land of Stories" and I just read that the must see places (besides Prague) are Cesky Krumlov, Bohemia and Morava. Take a look at the page and Iam sure you will find very helpful information.

1. Cesky Krumlov (city)
  2. Bohemia (attraction)
  3. Morava (attraction)

Carmen from India

travel with trains...there are several offers and in general it´s cheaper than flying. (the cheapest will be the bus) Vienna is a great choice. From Viennayou can even do a day trip to Bratislava, it´s about 45 minutes with the bus, train or boat (bus is the cheapest, boat is more expensive).One day will be enough. I can also recommend Berlin, my favourite city in Europe so far.

1. Vienna (city)
  2. Bratislava (city)
  3. Berlin (city)

Bati from California

We loved Krakow. It seemed less touristy, way friendlier (and cheaper) and good place to chill after Prague. The salt mine was fabulous! Or you could do Berlin. We just took the train, but check for cheap flights. Vienna is awesome for museums, but otherwise quite boring - hope no one gets offended :)

1. Krakow (city)
  2. Prague (city)
  3. Berlin (city)
  4. Vienna (city)

June from Charleston

My experience was that Prague and surrounds were best by train. Clean and easy and fast. Prague and Budapest could take your entire week with ease.

1. Prague (city)
  2. Budapest (city)

Mark from Budapest

Both Vienna and Budapest are excellent cities (in different ways) and I would suggest train in both cases (~ 3hrs to Vienna and ~5.5 hrs to BP).  

Depending on what you're looking for.....Vienna is much more 'western', and grand, classic European city'.....it's sophisticated, refined etc, but also pricey and a bit 'stodgy' - some might say boring.    Budapest is more 'eastern' but now has some more refined places...it's very good for interesting bars and nightlife.....unique vs Prague and way more 'energy' than Vienna.    It is also, one of THE most beautiful cities in terms of how it is set on the Danube (some say nicer than Prague) and the buildings (architecture) are amazing - again, outside the city center still 'rough' condition, but extremely cool.  English is about the same in both.   

1. Budapest (city)
  2. Vienna (city)

Antoine from Ħal Balzan, Malta

Vienna is closer than Budapest (to Prague) so perhaps that is a better option if you're pressed for time. You could look into getting sleeper trains to Budapest though which helps.

1. Budapest (city)
  2. Vienna (city)

Karisa from Atlanta

One of my favorite cities in Europe is Budapest!  I actually enjoyed it more than Prague.  It's got a great vibe and is very inexpensive!  Another to consider is Linz, Austria.  I lived there for six weeks and its a charming town that offers culture, night life and great food - very underrated! Check out my blog post about Budapest .  There's one coming soon on Linz as well!   www.flirtingwiththeglobe.com

1. Budapest (city)
  2. Linz (city)

Stef from Germany

You could head to the Elbe Sandstone Mountains in Germany which is right behind the border if you are interested in seeing some beautiful nature. A German city closeby is Dresden. You can easily go by train to these places (check goeuro.com for that).

1. Elbe Sandstone Mountains (attraction)
  2. Dresden (city)

Lala from Memphis

1. Cesky Krumlov (city)

Ales from Decin

1. Bohemian Switzerland National Park (attraction)
  2. Prague (city)
  3. Dresden (city)
  4. Berlin (city)

I say Vienna or Munich (took a coach bus and it was cheap and beautiful ride). Make sure to check out the Pivne Lasne Beer Spa while in Prague or take the Segway tour all over the city...great fun

1. Vienna (city)
  2. Munich (city)

Wendy from Gig Harbor, Washington

You really can't go wrong with any of your options!  Prague is fabulous!!  When we went to Prague, we went via train, stopping at Berlin and Krakow first.  

We were so enchanted by Krakow.  It is very inexpensive!  Your money will stretch so far there.  Old town Krakow boasts one the largest medieval main squares in Europe.  We could have spent days on the square enjoying the cafes, artists, markets and music.  The people are kind and relaxed (more so than Prague).  You can take in a Chopin concert if you'd like.  In addition, you can take tours out to the salt mines, and to Auschwitz (a sobering experience).

Berlin boasts all of the obvious historical sites.  Rick Steves has a wonderful walking tour of Berlin that we followed that hit upon all of the top sites (so worth purchasing his book).  We stayed at Pension Peters (http://www.pension-peters-berlin.de/), and had a fabulous Italian meal at San Marino (sanmarino-restaurant.de), right around the corner from the hotel.  We definitely could have spent more time exploring Berlin.  The museums alone are amazing.

1. Prague (city)
  2. Berlin (city)
  3. Krakow (city)