Nishta
New Delhi

Prague

Things to do for a Solo Traveler in Prague and is it safe?

Hey There, I am looking forward to travel to Prague solo. What places must I explore? How safe it is?

Mark from Spalding

Prague is a wonderful city and somewhere worth exploring on foot. 

I visit the city every 18 months or so usually on my own (although I have been with the family) and have found that beyond the main tourist sites, just walking around, without a map reveals so much history and culture.

Stop in a bar (away from the central tourist traps) or a restaurant, walk along the river, discover the huge numbers of modern art pieces scattered around each corner.

Prague is safer than many cities for sure and could never be called dangerous but like any large city, use common sense

1. Prague (city)

norman from New Orleans

YES Prague is very safe place to travel alone, very historical and nice buildings along the river.Charles i enjoyed my time there.

Tereza from Prague

Hi Nishta!

As a woman local resident in Prague I can conclude that Prague is a very safe city. In fact, the Czech Republic is one of the safest contries in the world, so no worries... 

But always trust your instincts (as in any other city) -  keep an eye on your belongings, avoid drunk groups of people or don't feel asleep... I'd say your biggest risk is being pickpocketed...

And there's a lot of things to do & not to miss. Depends on you - are you looking for something adventurous or relaxing? Are you an architecture or history buff? Or foodie? I've collected some insider tips for Prague as a free ebook "Off the beaten path", hope you'll find there something inspiring and helpful...

Enjoy your trip to Prague!

1. Prague (city)
  2. Czech Republic (country)

Hi Nishta,

I was in Prague last week, as a solo traveller and I found the city very safe, even at night. There are lots of tourists still around and places like Charles Bridge  the Old town and the Prague Castle area tend to be crowded late into the evening and the atmosphere is laid back and friendly. There are lots of tours you could join but it's a fun city to just walk around. Checkout the Castle, Loreta Praha Palace Gardens and go to the Monastery Brewery for some great beer. If you like jazz there's a fab jazz club that sells good wine and nice food, near the Old Town. Have a great trip, Prague is lovely.

1. Charles Bridge (attraction)
  2. Prague Castle (attraction)
  3. Loreta Praha (attraction)
  4. Palace Gardens (attraction)

You will be fine, just use common sense. I strongly recommend thePivní Lázně Spa Beerland. It's great. Relax in a hops bath while you drink great Czech beer. Then get wrapped up like a mummy and let the magic happen. You come out soft, smooth and feeling great. Best of all, you have a room to yourself the whole time. 

My second recommendation, especially for a solo female, is to book a segue tour. You will see alot of things you might not find on your own and you will meet other people. It's a great city.....enjoy.

1. Pivní Lázně Spa Beerland (attraction)

terrence from La Porte

I traveled to Prague solo last year and never found myself feeling unsafe, even while walking at night.  It's fairly low crime, so just use common sense and take care with you wallet/purse like you would any large city.  I would recommend basing your stay close to Old Town.  There is always something to do there, especially on the weekend.  Personally, as a sports fan, I attended a few hockey games.  Prague is picturesque no matter where you are, so whatever sights you decide to see won't disappoint.  

1. Prague (city)
  2. Old Town (attraction)

Taylor from New Orleans

Hi Nishta!

As a solo female traveler, I found Prague to be very safe. Of course I took the usual precautions for being in a city, like not walking on deserted streets at night and not calling extra attention to myself. But compared to many other large cities in the world, it is great for solo female travelers!

You must explore the city center and the Prague Castle. Go to the top of the Pražský orloj I took a Communism tour which visited an old bunker which was also very interesting. Nightlife in Prague is amazing... there's everything from small pubs to a 5 story club called Karlovy lázně

A day trip to Karlštejn Castle is also a lot of fun. You can go by bike if you are sporty, or by train too! It's very beautiful. For more about my time there, you can check my travel blog at http://www.thesportysightseer.com/?cat=5

1. Pražský orloj (attraction)
  2. Karlovy lázně (attraction)
  3. Karlštejn Castle (attraction)