Sarah

Prague, United Kingdom

Should I study abroad in Prague or Edinburgh

I am from the US and am planning to study abroad my Junior year Spring Semester either in the University of Edinburgh in Scotland or Charles University in Czech Republic. I need some outside opinion on this because I just cant seem to make my mind up. I will be studying in Bangkok, Thailand the semester before that so I am not too concerned on the fact that Edinburgh's culture won't get me out of my comfort zone since I chose Thailand for that. 

A little bit of background on me: I am a female student attending UCSC and majoring in Legal studies and Business Management Economics and minoring in Technology and Information Management. Although I want to travel and party while studying abroad I am going to have to take a lot of classes for my major and am looking for a college with great academics as well as great nightlife and people. I backpacked across Europe and my favorite countries were Greece, Paris, and London. 

Some of the things I am concerned about is: 

1) Pricing- The tuition in Prague is about 8000 dollars more expensive than Edinburgh's but housing, meals, etc is way cheaper. (Pretty sure they will come up to be even although traveling in Prague will be cheaper)

2) Ability to travel across Europe 

3) Nightlife and the people

4) Credibility of the uni . Edinburgh's uni is very well known which alumni such as Charles Darwin and Florence Nightingale which is the main reason I want to go there. Also, the campus and the city literally looks like Hogwarts. 

5) The architecture and culture- Both the Czech and Scottish cultures seem very cool to me and the architecture of the two although very different is so amazing. 

PS the reason I would choose Prague over Scotland is because I can travel to Vienna and Germany (its included on the tuition). 

Peter from Vienna

If I were you, I would choose Prague over Edinburgh. It is a beautiful and vital city and there are great opportunitys for travelling around in Europe, e.g. the train to Vienna is incredibly cheap and only takes 4 hours. Nightlife in Prague is famous and it is much cheaper than UK in general. 

1. Prague (city)
  2. Edinburgh (city)
  3. Vienna (city)

I haven't been to Edinburgh but personally, I'd probably choose Prague, especially if you can travel while you're there. It's just so unthinkably stunning and lively--seems like it would be an incredibly special experience!

1. Edinburgh (city)
  2. Prague (city)

Bruce from Washington, District of Columbia

Don't know about Edinburgh.  However, my son loved his studies at Charles University in Prague.

1. Edinburgh (city)
  2. Prague (city)