Sarah

Prague, United Kingdom

Should I study abroad in Prague or Edinburgh

I am from the US and am planning to study abroad my Junior year Spring Semester either in the University of Edinburgh in Scotland or Charles University in Czech Republic. I need some outside opinion on this because I just cant seem to make my mind up. I will be studying in Bangkok, Thailand the semester before that so I am not too concerned on the fact that Edinburgh's culture won't get me out of my comfort zone since I chose Thailand for that. 

A little bit of background on me: I am a female student attending UCSC and majoring in Legal studies and Business Management Economics and minoring in Technology and Information Management. Although I want to travel and party while studying abroad I am going to have to take a lot of classes for my major and am looking for a college with great academics as well as great nightlife and people. I backpacked across Europe and my favorite countries were Greece, Paris, and London. 

Some of the things I am concerned about is: 

1) Pricing- The tuition in Prague is about 8000 dollars more expensive than Edinburgh's but housing, meals, etc is way cheaper. (Pretty sure they will come up to be even although traveling in Prague will be cheaper)

2) Ability to travel across Europe 

3) Nightlife and the people

4) Credibility of the uni . Edinburgh's uni is very well known which alumni such as Charles Darwin and Florence Nightingale which is the main reason I want to go there. Also, the campus and the city literally looks like Hogwarts. 

5) The architecture and culture- Both the Czech and Scottish cultures seem very cool to me and the architecture of the two although very different is so amazing. 

PS the reason I would choose Prague over Scotland is because I can travel to Vienna and Germany (its included on the tuition). 

Ethan
  1. I would choose Prague over Edinburgh. Prague is safer than Edinburgh anyway, with fewer street-types coming for your wallet and much better transportation services.
  2. I feel like Edinburgh is less representative of Scotland's character than, say, Glasgow Uni in that Edinburgh is a political center and a tourist-trap hotspot of congestion and expense. (No offense, Edinburghers! My family lived in Glasgow for a bit, and the trips to Edinburgh never seemed worth it.)
  3. I also lived briefly in Prague. The language barrier is nothing to worry about.  First, most everyone there speaks English ridiculously, embarrassingly well. Second, a few weeks with the Mondly app, and you'll learn more Czech than you need and more than many foreigners living there know anyway. Prague's architecture, intra-city travel systems, easy layout, amazing hideaway restaurants and bars make it one of my favorite world cities. The Prague Castle area is the tourist trap; go there, and have fun, but please don't think that the Charles Bridge and the castle area are representative of the city or the people. For a few bucks you can travel out of the city an hour by train and find some of themost beautiful hiking trails in Europe; Berlin is a few hours away by train, as are a dozen other spots in Europe. The old castle (Vyšehrad) is one of my favorite places in the world (granted, I've only been to 13 countries for any extended period of time, but...) just go; it's amazing. :-)

Peter from Vienna

If I were you, I would choose Prague over Edinburgh. It is a beautiful and vital city and there are great opportunitys for travelling around in Europe, e.g. the train to Vienna is incredibly cheap and only takes 4 hours. Nightlife in Prague is famous and it is much cheaper than UK in general. 

1. Prague (city)
  2. Edinburgh (city)
  3. Vienna (city)

I haven't been to Edinburgh but personally, I'd probably choose Prague, especially if you can travel while you're there. It's just so unthinkably stunning and lively--seems like it would be an incredibly special experience!

1. Edinburgh (city)
  2. Prague (city)

Bruce from Washington, District of Columbia

Don't know about Edinburgh.  However, my son loved his studies at Charles University in Prague.

1. Edinburgh (city)
  2. Prague (city)