Liv
Cape Cod

Prague, Czech Republic

Eating my way through Prague- where are the must eat places?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest can't miss restaurants in Prague? I'm looking for authentic dining experiences but also willing to splurge some nights.

Thank you!

Lauren from Chicago

Hi Liv,

Prague is full of amazing places to eat and drink! We went on a tour with Taste of Prague (http://www.tasteofprague.com) and it was fantastic-great way to taste a lot and get a tour of the city with wonderful locals, I can't recommend it highly enough.

For coffee, a couple places we really enjoyed were La Bohème Café and EMA espresso bar - not only do they have great coffee, they are cute spots as well.

If you like cocktails, Hemingway Baris a very cool spot - their Becher Butter Sour is my favorite drink of all time. For wine, my husband and I really enjoyed both Vinograf locations, and for beer you have to try a Pilsner Urquell from Lokál Dlouhá and take in the views from Letna Beer Garden.

Stop by Naše Masofor their amazing meatloaf and grab an open-face sandwich from Sisters, chlebíčky Praha across the way. Čestrand La Finestra were our favorite dinners, Las Adelitas - Malé Naměstí if you're in the mood for Mexican. You have to order the Potato Milk Mash topped with Périgord sauce if you go to Cestr!

Antonínovo pekařstvíhas wonderful czech pastries and Café Savoy is a great spot for breakfast and dessert. 

I blogged about our food adventures in Prague here and here if you're looking for more details and photos. Like I said, there are so many fantastic spots in Prague, you won't be disappointed!

1. Taste of Prague (attraction)
  2. La Bohème Café (attraction)
  3. EMA espresso bar (attraction)
  4. Hemingway Bar (restaurant)
  5. Vinograf (restaurant)
  6. Lokál Dlouhá (restaurant)
  7. Letna Beer Garden (restaurant)
  8. Naše Maso (restaurant)
  9. Sisters, chlebíčky Praha (restaurant)
  10. Čestr (restaurant)
  11. La Finestra (restaurant)
  12. Las Adelitas - Malé Naměstí (attraction)
  13. Antonínovo pekařství (restaurant)
  14. Café Savoy (restaurant)

Ben from London

When I lived in Prague there was a great workers cafe we used to go to all the time by Florenc station for the best Gulash & knedlik!  Don't think it even had a name?!? You can tell a good czech restaurant by the amount of smoke inside...the more smoke, the more locals, the better!

Oosha from Vancouver

Also, in Prague, the pub food is still often more "authentic" and delicious - and better value for your money, with more interesting environments, than "proper" restaurants. Esp. those places off the beaten path- for example,Zlý časy, Bašta a spol., s.r.o., První Pivní Tramway. Lokál Dlouhá is also excellent (try their jiternice!), as are many others...

An excellent book I'd recommend to find great food + drink is:

"Prague: a Pisshead's Pub Guide", by Maximiliano Bahnson. Easy to read, funny, and also shares + demystifies some Czech customs and behaviors. 

1. Prague (city)
  2. Zlý časy (restaurant)
  3. Bašta a spol., s.r.o. (restaurant)
  4. První Pivní Tramway (restaurant)
  5. Lokál Dlouhá (restaurant)

Katherine from Baltimore

La Finestra was definitely my favorite restaurant when I was there in December. They own a bunch of places around town, including the little shop next door that is part bakery, part salumi and cheese heaven, part wine shop. If you go to La Finestra definitely make a reservation, they were able to fit us in later in the evening but it looked like their books were pretty full. Enjoy!  

1. La Finestra (restaurant)

Nancy from Nashville

Hi Liv! One restaurant that we thoroughly enjoyed was Bílý Koníček (White Horse).  It's right on the square in Old Town and offers inside and outdoor seating.  We were there in October fo 2014 and the evenings were still perfect for dining under the stars surrounded by the beautiful buildings on the square - it was special!  The menu was delicious, everything from stellar salads to true Czech cuisine. 
Enjoy your trip, Prague is a magical city!

1. Bílý Koníček (restaurant)

sandra

We loved the Restaurace Bellevue with great service, atmosphere, and a lovely view of the castle.  Walked home across the bridge - with street musicians playing -- can't beat it!  

1. Restaurace Bellevue (restaurant)

Sloan from Lincoln, New Hampshire

Just to add on to the great answers already, make sure you try a Trdelník. It's a sweet pastry, that you will find on the streets and almost all of the main tourists spots. Also if you need a break from all of the meat, try Malý Buddha. It's past the castle a little way. A great vegetarian Asian restaurant. It's a lovely walk back down to the city center after.

1. Malý Buddha (restaurant)