Talia
Boston

Prague

Best free things to do in Prague?

First time to Prague and I've heard you can get a lot for your money here. What are the best free things Prague has to offer? Any tips on cheap eats, sights, activities, etc. would be awesome. Thanks!

Brian from Portland

Best thing to do is to sign up for the "free" tours (you just have to tip them at the end, I think most people gave roughly $5 per person). They are very informative and take you around the old town therefore you know the history behind the buildings.  I believe they usually gather around Old Town Square  around 10:30 daily. 

1. Old Town Square (attraction)

Joanna from Warsaw

You must see: St. Vitus Cathedral, Charles Bridge, the Trojský zámek (near the zoo) with gardens. These things are for free.

1. St. Vitus Cathedral (attraction)
  2. Charles Bridge (attraction)
  3. Trojský zámek (attraction)

Josh from Baton Rouge

Just returned from Prague this week and absolutely loved it.  I would recommend downloading Rick Steves app.  It has a free audio walking tour that you can do at your own pace.  I used that to get my bearings on the city.  The history of Prague and the Czech people was fascinating to me, and I would highly recommend talking to locals who were there during the Velvet Revolution.

As far as costs, I would say Prague is cheaper than the states, but if you eat out for every meal it isn't really really cheap.  However, my wife and I went to a grocery store and bought 2 different kinds of cheese, a big bag of grapes, crackers, some whipping cream, and a bottle of wine for less than $6!

Here were my personal favorite things to see in Prague that maybe aren't as obvious as Old Town Square area.

Strahov Monastery Library

St. Vitus Cathedral and the entire Prague Castle complex

Our favorite breakfast spot was Bakeshop

It might seem silly but the Mirror maze and kaleidoscopic cinema was quite fun and trippy.

John Lennon Wall

I wish I would have spent much more time on the Charles Bridge at night.  Something about it at night is just magical.

1. Strahov Monastery (attraction)
  2. St. Vitus Cathedral (attraction)
  3. Bakeshop (restaurant)
  4. Mirror maze and kaleidoscopic cinema (attraction)
  5. John Lennon Wall (attraction)
  6. Charles Bridge (attraction)