Brian
Colorado

Prague

Authentic Czech restaurant for small group

Looking for a good restaurant in Prague for Czech food.

I will have a small group and I am looking for traditional Czech food.

Tony from Seattle

We found Czech food to be hearty/tasty but not terribly inspired.  While amazingly tasty it offers fairly little variety. Czech restaurants reel you in with photos of smoked/roasted pork knuckle (tasty), goulash (chunks of meet in really tasty gravy/broth, often in a bread bowl), potato pancakes (awesome), assorted potato dumplings (also awesome), roast duck (awesome), with all of it featuring a side of kraut (varying degrees of sweet or sour). Beer flows freely and cheaply– the Czechs invented the pilsner and the country ranks #1 in per capita beer consumption.  That said, you're in Prague, so you should experience it.  I'd recommend:

Pro tip: Be careful buying street food!  Many options are (not entirely clearly) priced by per-100-gram. So you’ll see a big sign saying “$89 koruna” at the roasted meat stands with tiny text that says (per 100g). Since you’re not used to buying a plate of food by weight, you might assume that you’re getting fed for 89 koruna (about $4.50) when asked if you would like one serving. You’re not. And by the time you’re paying, it gets a bit awkward to back out of your $20+ worth of street food.

1. Kampa Park (restaurant)
  2. Mlejnice (restaurant)
  3. Středověká krčma U krále Brabantského (attraction)

Oosha from Vancouver

Hi Brian, 

I recently answered a similar question. This is one of my faves; there are of course many but for really authentic food ya gotta go off the beaten path. Don't forget to try Czech "open-faced" sandwiches (chlebicek)!

The restaurant U Čejpů (address: U Strže 1/150 Praha 4) offers the best Czech specialties, and they do them well. English wont be a problem. I always go here when I'm in Prague and craving Czech dishes like mommy used to make. It's cheap/mid-range. Most of the places in the centre aren't very good, and they charge a lot. Price is not usually an indicator of quality in Prague. In fact, for a lot of really great Czech food (and beer), visit the pubs. Those off the beaten path are the best, like Bašta - Sousedský Pivovar and U Bansethů (Taborska 389/49, Praha 4, Nusle) and Zlý časy (Čestmírova 5, Praha 4). A fun fact about Basta- they still use the old-fashioned porcelain beer-coasters. Both places are also inexpensive, with friendly staff. Hope it helps, have fun on the trams!

Update: Also of recent note -- http://www.radio.cz/en/section/business/hefty-fines-for-some-of-pragues-notorious-tourist-traps

1. U Čejpů (restaurant)
  2. Bašta - Sousedský Pivovar (restaurant)
  3. U Bansethů (restaurant)
  4. Zlý časy (restaurant)

John from San Jose (California)

As you approach the end of the st. Charles Bridge on the left there is a staircase down to a plaza where you will find a cafe that serves wonderful potato soup, pumpernickel bread and pelzner beer.