Vicky

Prague

36 hours in Prague

I will be in Prague for 2 nights at the end of February. What are the places / restaurants / things to do that I should not miss? I will probably stay at a friend's apartment but if not, is there a particular neighborhood I should stick to? My flight arrives just around dinner time and I will only have one full day the next day plus the following morning before I take the train to Vienna.

Danielle from Toronto

Hi Vicky,

Anything in Prague 1 is very central - and most major sites are either in this part of the city or within walking distance. I recommend checking out: 

If you're into history, I highly recommend taking the World War 2 Tour - they meet every day at 10 am and 2 pm at the The Powder Tower. It costs about $30 but was well worth it to me.

For restaurants, there's many great ones - I would recommend looking outside of the very center and you'll find really nice restaurants with great prices.

If you want to go to a bar, there is an amazing one called Vinárna U Sudu - it goes underground a few levels and is a bit of a 'hidden gem' :) 

Have an amazing time in Prague, it's a beautiful city!

1. Old Town Square (attraction)
  2. Prague Castle (attraction)
  3. Charles Bridge (attraction)
  4. Wenceslas Square (attraction)
  5. The Powder Tower (attraction)
  6. Vinárna U Sudu (restaurant)

Gery from Brussels

Hi Vicky, 
You'll find plenty of suggestions on the web on what to visit in Prague. The hardest thing for you will be to make a choice!
What I can suggest you, if you appreciate European history, is a very old hotel, at a stone throw from the main square:
http://www.intohistory.com/savic-hotel/

It is a former Dominican convent in the city centre, whose conversion into a prestigious hotel has retained many original features. 
If you do not have much time to visit during day time, at least you'll be able to appreciate Prague's unique period savor at night!

Beautiful 15th century fresco in one of the suites.

Alexandre

Most of the places were already mentioned.  

I really suggest you to take a free walking tour. They'll take you to all the places with a lot of background historical information. A must do in your 36h. http://www.newpraguetours.com 

Michael from Tampa

Great place to stay if you don't stay with the friend is Archibald At The Charles Bridge. You're right in the middle of the old city and the price isn't bad for the view from your room and the incredible free breakfast they have. We stayed at a different hotel on our last trip to Prague but still went back to that hotel for the food.

Don't miss Charles BridgeSt. Vitus Cathedral and the castle complex, Old Town Square, and just wander the streets of the old city. If you take the cable car to Petřín you can get a great view of the old city. Or for a long walking day start out in Letná Park with views that overlook the whole old city and walk the path down to the castle and then the Charles Bridge.

Food that should not be missed includes Svichkova na smetana, Ovocne Kinedliky (fruit dumplings), and smazeny sear (fried cheese).

1. Archibald At The Charles Bridge (restaurant)
  2. Charles Bridge (attraction)
  3. St. Vitus Cathedral (attraction)
  4. Old Town Square (attraction)
  5. Petřín (attraction)
  6. Letná Park (attraction)

Sloan from Lincoln, New Hampshire

36 is hours is not enough! However that being said, any time in Prague is better than none. Don't worry about fitting specific thing in. Start at the castle and walk your way down to Wenceslas Square. Take the sights in, get lost!  

Try Pivovarský Dům for simple Czech meal. It is a bit touristy, but the food is good and simple. They have a banana beer that is to die for!  

If you are a art fan be sure to check out the Mucha museum....no pun intended!

1. Wenceslas Square (attraction)
  2. Pivovarský Dům (attraction)

Stef from Germany

1. Old Town Square (attraction)

Drew from Ojai

I'm not sure what your tastes are but if you're up for a little adventure, check out the Strahov Monastery. It's one of the coolest, most interesting places I've ever seen in my life.

It's an amazing, amazing library that is one of the most incredible pieces of architecture you've ever seen in and then a wunderkammen (or cabinet of curiosities) that has all this incredibly cool stuff in it from the 1800s.

It was definitely a highlight of my trip, although it's definitely a bit off beat. 

1. Strahov Monastery (attraction)