Isobel
London, United Kingdom

Post Graduation Trip Ideas?

Im graduating from University in less than a year, and i want to have a big adventure before I start work. Ideally I'm looking for a couple countries/cities that are relatively cheap once you get there, and arent too touristy. I was thinking maybe SouthEast Asia...

Have you done something similar? and if not, have you ever wanted to? What where would you go? What would you see?

Asan from San Francisco

Malaysia - Singapore- Brunei Darussalam- Indonesia route is a good one. Malaysia is the best, the east coast, George Town, Borneo and of course Kuala Lumpur are my suggestions. Good quality / price ratios in everything. Many hidden natural beauties. You can also go to SG easily from there. You may add Vietnam, Cambodiaand Thailand into this route if you have more time to spend.

1. Malaysia (country)
  2. Singapore (country)
  3. Brunei Darussalam (country)
  4. Indonesia (country)
  5. George Town (city)
  6. Borneo (attraction)
  7. Kuala Lumpur (city)
  8. Vietnam (country)
  9. Cambodia (country)
  10. Thailand (country)

Seto from Kebumen, Jawa Tengah, Indonesia

+1 for choosing southeast Asia for starting your adventure. Yes indeed it's cheap, compare to common developed country's standard living.  

I myself went to Bangkok, Thailand and, I hope I had a more spare time, planned to go to northern Thailand but due to tight schedule, I decided to go directly to south to Phuket, then to Hatyai near Malaysia border, go to Pinang island, continue to Kuala Lumpur then go back to Jakarta. 

So based on my experience, these are the thing I would do if I had more time: 

- Start from Bangkok, explore the city until you get bored. Then go to northern Thailand: Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep, Wat Chedi Luang Worawihan, Wat Phra Singh, and another interesting places in Chiang Mai province. 

- Go to southern Thailand: Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, just to name a few. There's a popular Bangla road, you can find cheap hostel there. 

- next, go to Malaysia: the historic Penang Island, the modern Kuala Lumpur. I think there's a lot interesting places in this country :D 

- Singapore? There are a lot of friends who say that Singapore is more expensive compare to another country in this region, I've never been there actually. 

- You can try Brunei Darussalam. Not as popular as Malaysia or Singapore, but I think as an adventure, you will try something new, won't you? 

- Finally, Indonesia! You can ask another question about this country, as I really love sharing about my lovely country.

2. Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep (attraction)
  3. Wat Chedi Luang Worawihan (attraction)
  4. Wat Phra Singh (attraction)
  5. Phuket (city)
  6. Koh Phi Phi (city)
  7. Malaysia (country)
  8. Penang Island (attraction)
  9. Singapore (country)
  10. Brunei Darussalam (country)
  11. Indonesia (country)

nithin from India
Kerala, also known as Gods Own country is a natural destination for all travel lovers. Its far from the buzz of modern day life. Here you can visit the magestic hillstations like Munnar, exotic beaches like KovalamVarkala and Alleppey. Last but not the least the great backwaters of kerala in alapuzha which covers almost 100 kms. Houseboat cruise is the best way to feel the beauty of backwaters. Also village life visit,fishing,village tours by canoe,kayak is welcomed. I would suggest alapuzha, kerala, india.

1. Kerala (state)
  2. Munnar (city)
  3. Kovalam (city)
  4. Varkala (city)
  5. Alleppey (city)

Arpit from Jaipur, Rajasthan

In my opinion you should visit India and Nepal for this tour, these are the best places to be at for adventure and heritage sites

1. India (country)
  2. Nepal (country)

Janet from Emerald Hills, Ca

Iran is one of the gems of the world!

Kristal from San Francisco

Isobel,

I did a similar trip when I graduated and I chose eastern Europe: Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Austria and Slovakia. When you get out of school it's not as crowded and most of those countries aren't as touristy. I had an amazing time - I went there for 1 month and it was unforgettable. Besides Vienna and some places in Croatia the prices are pretty decent. I landed in Vienna, flew to serbia and then from there traveled by bus to the rest of the countries. When I got back to Vienna I stayed there and then took a boat (day trip) to slovakia (Bratislava). I loved that experience and appreciated how different it was from the more mainstream countries in Europe. To this day Croatia and Austria are in my top favorite countries.

Asia is another possibility, but there are a TON of people so if you are looking for a quieter place, it may not be the best option.

Good luck and Enjoy.

-Kristal

Nam from Bangkok

Southeast Asia is cheap and so popular for the backpackers and travellers all over the world.

Finding less touristy countries, they are the Philippines and Brunei Darussalam.

I went to Philippines and love it. You can try if want to go beautiful less touristy places in Southeast Asia.

My favourite places are the Banaue Rice Terracesin Ifugao province and Palawan island.

1. Southeast Asia (region)
  2. Philippines (country)
  3. Brunei Darussalam (country)
  4. Banaue Rice Terraces (attraction)
  5. Palawan (city)