Brenda
Long Beach

Portugal

Only 10 days

Flying into Lisbon and out of Portoin late May. I am figuring three days in Lisbon and an additional day for a day trip to sintra. Then either rent a car or train to Porto and have at least two and a half days in Porto. The question is just enjoy the coast on the way up to Porto or train up there and rent a car and go up into the Douro Valley for 3 days? 

Side question is should I spend an extra day when I am solo in San Sebastian or get on over to Lisbon. I will have two and a half days in San Sebastian but could stretch to three and a half and loose the extra day in Lisbon. I hate only having one month for vacation. I know this does not even cover the Algarve and Azores that'll be another trip

I would strongly recommend you to take the train between Lisbon and Porto. It's a modern highspeed train that is faster than driving. Parking a car is something that can easily take you an hour each time in both cities. 

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Porto (city)

Claudia from New York City

Hi Brenda,

It sounds like you have your itinerary figured out. Spending a day in Sintra is a great idea. You can either join a guided tour or take a train from Rossio Station in Lisbon to Sintra (half hour ride each way).

I took Rede Expressos' bus (3 1/2 hour trip) from Lisbon's Sete Rios Bus Terminal to Porto. Like Claus, I would recommend traveling by train or bus. Here is the link to get bus info and tickets: https://www.rede-expressos.pt/

The Douro Valley was in my plan, but I didn't make it there because of the lack of time. Check out this article by The Telegraph, Why Portugal's Douro Valley should be on your holiday list, and you'll know why I regret not making time to visit.

Hope this info helps.

1. Sintra (attraction)
  2. Lisbon (city)
  3. Porto (city)