Arielle

Portugal, Spain

Must see/do things?

M friend and I are travelling from London to Spain or Portugal (this will be in mid July) we only have about 4/5 days of travelling so We want to do know the absolute best must see or do things that will be worth our time :)

I have only been in the region of Porto along the Duoro River, but I'd go back. If you like Port and/or wine tasting, the region is the center for a long history of port production with old port houses like Taylor and GRAHAM'S Port Lodge on the Vila Nova de Gaia side of the river. On the other side is Porto itself with so much history and museums, plus delicious restaurants like Restaurante Chez Lapin.

The river itself and scenery along it with tiny villages and steep terraced hills covered in grape vines are absolutely gorgeous. I love the ports and people at Quinta do Tedo.

Villages in the area worth seeing are Braga known for the Bom Jesus do Monte and Barcelos known for a wonderful market and its famous roosters.

The beaches to the north are peaceful. We enjoyed time in Esposende - nice beaches and good food.

Here are some notes and photos from my trip: http://10000windows.com/porto-and-northern-portugal/

1. Porto (city)
  2. Taylor (attraction)
  3. GRAHAM'S Port Lodge (restaurant)
  4. Vila Nova de Gaia (city)
  5. Restaurante Chez Lapin (restaurant)
  6. Quinta do Tedo (restaurant)
  7. Braga (city)
  8. Bom Jesus do Monte (attraction)
  9. Barcelos (city)
  10. Esposende (city)

If you only have that short time then I would say you should focus on Lisbon when in Portugal and possibly combine it with Madrid in Spain as these two cisites are very well connected with plenty of flights as well as direct trains.

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Madrid (city)