Kate
Ohio

Portugal

Itinerary help for a couple visiting Portugal in September

Hello, my husband and I are considering going to Portugal for our first trip to Europe in September.  We were thinking Ireland in August but August no longer works. To be honest Europe in general intimidates us.

Can you recommend an itinerary outline. I would love to base ourselves out of 2 or 3 places and day trip from there. I am am willing to drive but would only like to do this in the countryside or small towns. We would fly in and out of Lisbon for the best prices. Some places we think we want to see the Algrave, Lisbon, Sintra, Evora and Combria.

We would arrive on a red eye on September 3 and leave September 12. Any recommendations? Must sees that we should consider? Thanks, and sorry I wrote a book.

Tanya from Durban

Hi, there is a ton to do and see in Portugal, I really think it's a great place for a vacation. The Memmo Alfama Hotel Lisboa will give you a great taste of Lisbon. You could do Estoril and Cascais while still staying in Lisbon as the train ride out is only about 40mins to Cascais and is very peaceful beautiful drive. Be sure to ride on a Piaggio and see the streets of Barrio Alto. Make time (with a car or hire a taxi from Cascais train station) to see Guincho beach and ending the day with a drink at the Hotel Albatroz Cascais in Cascais before taking your train back to Lisbon is special. Also, the Lisboa Regency Chiado in Chiado has a great view of the city, actually there are plenty of excellent roof tops to explore: www.senhoramonte.blogspot.com highest bar on the highest hill of Lisbon's seven hills. Café Esplanada do Miradouro do Monte AgudoBar Cerca Moura (www.lifecooler.com/Portugal/noite/CerceMoura in Alfama), ride the tram to Barrio Alto Hotel and end the night at Noobai Café (www.noobaicafe.comexcellent view over the Tejo. 

A few days in Porto and a few days in Algarve are also worth it. Porto is about 3 hours from Lisbon by car but the train journey is also very lovely. 

Hope this helps,
Tanya

1. Memmo Alfama Hotel Lisboa (hotel)
  2. Estoril (city)
  3. Cascais (city)
  4. Guincho (hotel)
  5. Hotel Albatroz Cascais (hotel)
  6. Lisboa Regency Chiado (attraction)
  7. Café Esplanada do Miradouro do Monte Agudo (restaurant)
  8. Bar Cerca Moura (restaurant)
  9. Noobai Café (restaurant)
  10. Algarve (attraction)
  11. Porto (city)

With the time frame you have then I would leave Algarve out and focus on Lisbon Sintra Évora and Coimbra. The central region of Portugal really has a lot to offer and other places you should consider visiting in that region is Obidos Batalha Alcobaca Tomar just to mention a few.

The central part of Portugal has so much to offer that I would recommend that you take your time to explore that and then leave the Algarve for another trip as that will save you a long drive on a road that is not particulary interesting.

1. Algarve (attraction)
  2. Lisbon (city)
  3. Sintra (attraction)
  4. Évora (city)
  5. Coimbra (city)
  6. Obidos (city)
  7. Batalha (city)
  8. Alcobaca (city)
  9. Tomar (city)

Mick from Benfica, Lisboa, Portugal

Hello! I'm from Sintra and it's definitely a place to visit. 20 minutes with a car from Lisbon, calm, fully integrated in nature, the beautiful Sintra Mountains and the beaches (Azenhas do Mar , Praia da Adraga, Praia Grande, Praia das Maçãs, Praia do Magoito) make this place very special. Lisbon, a mix of tradition, culture, modernity has a lot of places u should visit: the Miradouros, Rossio Railway Station, Jardins De Belem-construções, Lda, Parque Eduardo VII, Santa Catarina, Praça do Comércio, Chiado

Everything I've written is based on Portuguese landscape, no money needed for this! Of course you also have lots of museums in Sintra (Pena National Palace, Tivoli Palácio de Seteais, Castelo dos Mouros) and Lisbon (Jerónimos Monastery) but this you can find on the internet through tourist websites! Hope this can be useful, and if you're interested, my parents are renting this house in the summer (I'm not sure if he prices are correct,u can pay pp)

http://www.homeaway.nl/vakantiewoning/p9013 

1. Sintra (attraction)
  2. Lisbon (city)
  3. Sintra Mountains (attraction)
  4. Azenhas do Mar (neighborhood)
  5. Praia da Adraga (attraction)
  6. Praia Grande (neighborhood)
  7. Praia das Maçãs (attraction)
  8. Praia do Magoito (attraction)
  9. Rossio Railway Station (attraction)
  10. Jardins De Belem-construções, Lda (attraction)
  11. Parque Eduardo VII (attraction)
  12. Santa Catarina (city)
  13. Praça do Comércio (attraction)
  14. Chiado (neighborhood)
  15. Pena National Palace (attraction)
  16. Tivoli Palácio de Seteais (hotel)
  17. Castelo dos Mouros (attraction)
  18. Jerónimos Monastery (attraction)

Annamarie

I found the Algarve very commercialized, but loved the trip through the countryside from there. Coimbra is beautiful; maybe also thin about a visit to Chaves and the northern mountains.  A boat trip from either Lisbon or Porto can also be something special. Sintra = wonderful. 

1. Algarve (attraction)
  2. Coimbra (city)
  3. Chaves (metro area)
  4. Lisbon (city)
  5. Porto (city)
  6. Sintra (attraction)