Denny
Portuguese Bend, California

Portugal, Lisbon, Porto

Bus or train from Lisbon to Porto?

Traveling to Portugal this summer to begin el Camino trail.  What is the best way to get fro Lisbon to Porto?  Bus or train?

I would recommend the train.

There are very comfortable fast trains between the two cities with cafe onboard and free wifi.

The journey takes under 3 hours and cost somewhere around 30 euros.

Be ware that there are several train stations in Lisbon that serves different destinations.

The station called Metro Oriente at the Parque das Nações serves aæll the fast trains going between Lisbon and Porto.

And look forward to the camino walk mate.

I walked from Porto to Santiago myself last year and it was a really nice trip.

1. Metro Oriente (attraction)
  2. Parque das Nações (attraction)

Rui from Lisbon

I also recommend the train. It's faster and it's not expensive and very comfortable. The train station Metro Oriente is itself an architecture work of art and deserves a look. It's situated in an area called Parque das Nações which is where the World Expo 98 was held. So the area is very new and has lots of cool architecture and other attractions to visit.

1. Metro Oriente (attraction)
  2. Parque das Nações (attraction)

Serena from San Francisco

Hi Denny! I walked the Camino last October. Great experience!

I'd recommend the Lisbon - Porto train. It's incredibly easy and will drop you off right in the center of Porto, and it takes less than three hours.

I hope you're giving yourself a day or two to explore Porto and Lisbon as well - they are both great cities!

1. Porto (city)
  2. Lisbon (city)

Joao from Lisbon

Train for sure! It will take you around 3h for the trip.

Eduardo

I suggest the intercidades train. You have several a day and you can take it either at Santa Apolóniastation (downtown Lisbon) or Oriente (close to the airport). You can take the metro subway to both stations. Regarding the Camino it'll be a great experience and Porto it's a wonderful place ti start. If you can take 11 days instead of the usual 10 and enjoy several spots in the way. If you need some info in the Camino try vialusitana.org drop me a line I ll be glad to gripe. Bom caminho!

1. Santa Apolónia (attraction)
  2. Oriente (attraction)

Robson from Istanbul

Hi!!!
I did by bus and enjoyed. It's cheaper than train.
Also have a look on blablacar. 
Great way to meet people and save money :)

Victor from Lisbon

The best way is by train. Take the alfa train (2H30) in Metro Santa Apolónia

1. Metro Santa Apolónia (attraction)

Emi from San Francisco

The train is always my favorite in Europe, but if you want to save time -- look into TAP Airlines! Really inexpensive budget airline with great service. We flew in 30 minutes for about $50 USD...hope that helps! Enjoy both of these spectacular cities! We made guides to both on welltraveledwife.com

XO

Noelle

The train is the best way to travel from Lisbon to Porto. Figuring out the buses there can be a lot of work and the train is much more comfortable.

The Camino is great, just be sure to travel lightly and have the right socks. It makes all the difference.

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Porto (city)

Luis from Lisbon

Hi Denny

I would advise you to take the train, because it´s more confortable. You can choose the "Alfa Pendular" or the "Intercidades" train. And you can take it at Metro Santa Apolónia or Metro Oriente Station.

Enjoy your trip.

1. Metro Santa Apolónia (attraction)
  2. Metro Oriente (attraction)

Julia from Brooklyn (New York)

I used www.blablacar.com to find ride shares while I was traveling around southern spain & portugal. Cheaper, faster, and more enjoyable than either the bus or train. Go on the website and you'll see how it works--I had great experiences each time! 

Sérgio from Lisbon

By train, more confortable and the views will be much better.

João from Lisbon

I think it depends on whether you suffer from motion sickness or not. The train is more stable and maybe more safe and enjoyable.

Bus

Train

Michael from Lisbon

Definitely the train! It runs often, is spacious, and you can nap or watch a movie on your laptop and not be squeezed into a tight space like on a bus. And it's cheap and fast!

Ana from Porto

Trains will be costlier (probably by 2x), but they are slightly faster and more comfortable.

It really comes down to price vs. comfort. I always travel by train, primarily in an effort to avoid motion sickness.

Hope you enjoy your stay, I'm certain you're going to love both cities! :D

John

Disagree bus was cheap and easy from Lisbon to Porto!

Sergio from Lisbon

Train :)

Luis

By Train, its a lot simples. Buy tickets here

João Pedro from Portugal

Train definitely.

Olya

Train, it's cheaper.