Theresa
Brooks (Alberta)

Porto

just visit Nazare or stay over

Wondering if I should only do a day trip from Porto to Nazare or stay over for 2 days, which means one day less in Porto. Im traveling alone, on low budget.  love nature -especially the ocean- and need to "re-set" my clock on this trip and relax. I'd like to experience the Portuguese culture and lifestyle. I'll be coming from Lisbon (still considering to do a day in Coimbre or not...); around the 14-18 July

Avelino

How many days do you have in Lisbon and Porto? What will be your transport? A day (return) trip from Porto doesn't make sense (too far), but you may do it from Lisbon, or in your displacement between the two cities.

Claus Andersen is right about the crowds in Nazaré, but you may have in mind that Nazaré is only 10 minutes distant from Alcobaca, 20 from Batalha or Obidos, three of the Portuguese "must see". I don't recommend staying in Nazaré in July, but you may visit it as a easy day trip from one of the other touristy places around, where lodging will be easier (and cheaper).

If beach is important, then after seeing Nazaré (clearly  the most beautiful) you may have many other beaches less populated, as Rua de São Martinho or Foz do Arelho, or the wild beaches between Nazaré and Sao Pedro de Moel

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Porto (city)
  3. Nazaré (attraction)
  4. Alcobaca (city)
  5. Batalha (attraction)
  6. Obidos (city)
  7. Rua de São Martinho (attraction)
  8. Foz do Arelho (city)
  9. Sao Pedro de Moel (city)

Nazaré is a ice stop in between Lisbon and Porto. But in July the place is also packed with tourists and it might be hard to find affordable accommodation if you are on a budget. Coimbra is absolutely fantastic and a more interesting choice than Nazare if you ask me.

1. Nazaré (attraction)
  2. Lisbon (city)
  3. Porto (city)
  4. Coimbra (city)