teri
Atlanta

Portland, Seattle, Oregon, Washington

Dining on a budget?

Any suggestions for hole in the wall budget friendly restaurants in Portland Or and Seattle WA?

Brew from Manhattan Beach

I agree with Justin that the food trucks are a great way to go in Portland. There's a food truck pod on North Mississipi Street, the Mississippi Marketplace that has some options, and the entire N. Mississippi area is very cool.  If you are in that area, I would recommend ¿Por Que No? for some good, reasonable Mexican in a very cool casual setting (not a food truck).  But the big bonus for the area is that its the original location of Ruby Jewel Scoops which has some of the best ice cream in the world.  Salt N Straw gets more publicity but Ruby Jewel is the best.  Trust me.  Incredible.  If Lisa or Becky are there (the owners), tell them I said hello. 

Another great food truck option is Nong's Khao Man Gai.  The alder street location is one of the main food truck pods in town, so if you don't want their succulent chicken and rice, there's a lot else to choose from.  Bonus is that Ruby Jewel Scoops other shop is right around the corner.  Cool to combine with Powell's City of Books which is a Portland institution.

Lardo has several locations and is a pretty mean and awesome sandwich.

1. Mississippi Marketplace (restaurant)
  2. ¿Por Que No? (restaurant)
  3. Ruby Jewel Scoops (attraction)
  4. Nong's Khao Man Gai (restaurant)
  5. Ruby Jewel Scoops (restaurant)
  6. Powell's City of Books (attraction)
  7. Lardo (restaurant)

Hit the food trucks. There are more than a few places where they tend to cluster in Portland. I haven't been to Seattle in awhile, so I don't know if the food truck craze has had the same affect there.

There's also a place called Lardo that I can't shut up about. I don't know how their sandwiches are so much better than everyone else's ... but they are.

1. Lardo (restaurant)

Matthew from Seattle

Snappy Dragon Judy Fu's Snappy Dragon is very good and very cheap (about $12 for a meal). Many good places are also available in the International District

1. Snappy Dragon (restaurant)
  2. International District (attraction)

Jeff from Seattle

In Seattle check out the Royal Room in columbia city. Great food and great music supporting local and Indie artists. Oh and the foods good and cheap

1. Royal Room (restaurant)

Brian from Portland

There are a lot of places to eat in Portland, especially in SE PDX. Any specific food you enjoy? If you don't mind finding a bench and eating outside (assuming it's not raining) the food pods around Alder street in downtown is a great place to start with some budget friendly food that are super tasty. 

A good place I always like to point people to especially for happy hour is Luc Lac. Happy hour is everyday starting at 4 and end at 6. Everything is 2 dollars if you order a drink. It is a very popular Vietnamese American restaurant so be prepared to wait in line.