Ari

Portland

Unpretentious restaurants

Going to Portland later this year--I'll be going solo so I'm not going to spend a lot of time in restaurants but I do need places to eat--preferrably where I won't feel weird eating alone. Thanks!

Jane from Portland

HA & VL Sandwich has delicious Pho and other soups. If you're interested in trying a food cart I'd recommend Fried Egg I'm In Love Food Cart. Perfect breakfast option. Enjoy your visit!

1. HA & VL Sandwich (attraction)

Tony from Seattle

Foodwise, you cannot do better than Pambiche if you're looking for a relatively cheap, lively, and unpretentious meal (it's cuban food).  Pok Pok Restaurant is insane, but across the street is Whiskey Soda Lounge, which actually serves the same cocktails (great) and the wings that Pok Pok is famous for.

Boke Bowl is great for a build your own asian soup, vibe.  The Waffle Window has savory waffles which are actually a really tasty meal-- or you can go sweet.

And, seriously.  Just hit the food trucks if the weather is nice.  Potato Champion is epic, but all of the pods have interesting stuff to eat.

1. Pambiche (restaurant)
  2. Pok Pok Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. The Waffle Window (restaurant)
  4. Potato Champion (restaurant)
  5. Whiskey Soda Lounge (attraction)
  6. Boke Bowl (restaurant)

Brian from Portland

Go to Luc Lac Vietnamese Kitchen for happy hour. It's a great place to grab a drink and a snack if you're near downtown but it gets busy. Or better yet since you're traveling solo, just hit up the Food Carts & Stuff you can get get almost any type of cuisine you're looking for. 

1. Luc Lac Vietnamese Kitchen (attraction)
  2. Food Carts & Stuff (restaurant)

Shauna from Santa Monica, California

Not sure about restaurants to tell you the truth, but if you're in the mood for a drink check out Swift Lounge. Actually more of a late night joint but they gotta little something for everyone. Check out their "Jolly (Happy) Hour"!

Also, if you like coffee, stop in at Stumptown Coffee. Coffee lovers might know that there was a "Third Wave" of coffee makers that swept through the coffee world & apparently Stumptown in Portland was in the center of the action. All I know is I fell in love with this strong coffee while at a writing conference at Reed College. Kept me going all day.

Sorry--I know these aren't really restaurants but they're great!

1. Swift Lounge (restaurant)
  2. Stumptown Coffee (restaurant)