Ari

Portland

Spots for nature lovers around Portland?

Staying in Portland over Labor Day weekend and would love to see some green while I'm there. I've never been so I'm not sure if this means I'll have to take a day trip or if there's a way to stay in the city--I don't really care--I just want to get a little fresh air while I'm in town. I love to hike and love most sports so if there's ziplining or rafting or something that would be good, too. 

Mary from Bozeman

One of my favorite things about Portland is  Forest Park (near  Forest Park (Oregon) neighborhood).  It is one of the country's largest urban forests, home to over 70 miles of trails (both paved and dirt).  You'd never guess you're in the middle of a huge city!

Hood River is also a great place to be outside - and a jumping off place for a lot of adventures (rafting, etc.).  Try wind surfing or hiking in the  Willamette Gorge!

1. Forest Park (Oregon) (neighborhood)
  2. Forest Park (attraction)
  3. Willamette Gorge (attraction)
  4. Hood River (city)

Shannon from Portland

Definitely spend some time wandering Forest Park, you can walk the trails right into the International Rose Test Garden.  If you have a car I'd suggest taking the scenic drive to Multnomah Falls.

1. Forest Park (attraction)
  2. International Rose Test Garden (attraction)
  3. Multnomah Falls (attraction)

I'd mentioned the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area in my last answer.  There are miles of hikes, waterfalls, rock climbing, and windsurfing opportunities.

It's also worth a drive to Mount Hood National Forest where you can ski the glacier at Timberline Lodge even in the summer.

South of Portland, you can go white water rafing along the Clackamas River at several places or you can drive to the coast and do serious rafting along The Rogue River.

It's all worth the drive.

1. Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area (attraction)
  2. Mount Hood National Forest (city)
  3. The Rogue River (attraction)
  4. Timberline Lodge (attraction)

Lauren from Los Angeles

I love the Sunriver Resort just south of Portland. I stayed at this resort and had an incredible time! we stayed in a cozy log cabin on the grounds. we rented bikes and biked all around the resort and the town near by. they have really great food and amazing scenery!

1. Sunriver Resort (hotel)