Places to see in Portland

Taking my first trip to Portland this year--literally no idea at all what I should see there--just decided I wanted to see it. Tell me where to go!!! :)

• Tiffany Weber

What you should see depends on what kind of travel you like, but I'll give you some basics.

The heart of downtown Portland lies along the waterfront walk and the few blocks west of it. There you'll find the the best shopping and cool hangouts around Pioneer Place. There's a large square there with street musicians. Walk or bike along the waterfront. Walk the city.

Powell's Books is a local icon and now on tourist maps, but it's a really cool bookstore.

If this is your first trip, you should head to the hills above Portland and see the International Rose Test Garden. They are stunning and provide the best views of Portland and Mount Hood. The Japanese Gardens and zoo are there as well, but the rose gardens are free and gorgeous.

Portland is known for it's "Keep Portland Wierd" slogan, so look for oddities. The Portland Saturday Market was one of my favorite things to do when I lived there. It's artsy and fun.

There are tons of amazing restaurants and micro breweries in the city. If you want to do wine tasting, head to Newberg. There are some really fantastic wineries in that area on beautiful grounds.

For another great day trip, drive 90 minutes to Timberline Lodge Or you can drive along the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area and see our famous waterfalls including Multnomah Falls. There's great hikes in this area, so you can easily make a full day of it. Eat at the lodge there. The food is good and reasonably priced.

Awesome suggestions, Tiffany! I've been to Portland a few times before, but have never stayed long enough to take in the nature-y part of it. I'll have to make that trip sometime because these sound great! · (0 likelikes)

1. waterfront walk (attraction)
    2. Apple Store: Pioneer Place (restaurant)
    3. Powell's Books (attraction)
    4. International Rose Test Garden (attraction)
    5. Japanese Gardens (attraction)
    6. Portland Saturday Market (attraction)
    7. Newberg (city)
    8. Timberline Lodge (attraction)
    9. Timberline Lodge (attraction)
    10. Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area (attraction)
    11. Multnomah Falls (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tiffany a Thank You Note