Andreas
Manhattan

Portland (Maine)

Good restaurants in Portland

What are some good restaurants in Portland, Maine?  My fiance and I are headed there for a week-long getaway.  We've never been, so we're hoping to get some recommendations for places to try there.  We're especially hoping to try some Maine lobster.

Andrew from Minneapolis

My dad lives in Portland, so I'm over there quite a bit.

Five Island Lobster Co has some of the best lobster Maine has to offer. If you visit Maine just for the lobster, this is where you belong.

Here are some of my other favorite Portland seafood places:

• Food Factory Miyake: Living in the Midwest, I love when I can get my hands on fresh seafood. Try out the sea cucumber, flounder roe soup with seaweed and fiddleheads.
  • Caiola's: Caiola's is a great neighborhood restaurant in the West End area. A great place to bring the family, or to pull up a chair at their eight-seat bar.
  • Grace: Located in a former church in downtown Portland, the interior of Grace is beautiful with its large stained-glass windows. The local sea scallops are so good.
  • Porthole Restaurant: Located right on the waterfront of Casco Bay, the main food source couldn't be any closer. On a sunny day, I like to sit out on the deck and enjoy the sea breeze.
  • Five Fifty-Five: One of my favorite places to grab dinner with my dad. Thursdays it's just $1.55 for raw local oysters.

Here are some of my other favorite restaurants:

• Bresca: James Beard semi-finalist chef Krista Kern Desjarlais has created a small menu at Bresca that really showcases local and seasonal ingredients. They also carry a great selection of wine.
  • Cinque Terre: Tasty Italian cuisine done by someone who really knows how to do Italian.
  • Duckfat: A European-style fry and sandwich shop featuring their namesake Belgian fries that are fried in, you guessed it, duck fat.
  • Standard Baking Co: If I had to name just one item to try here, I couldn’t. I stay at the adjacent hotel for the sole purpose of eating here every morning I’m in town. Just go.
  • Fore Street: One of my favorite places to get dinner. The ingredients are locally grown and raised and delivered fresh every day.
  • Emilitsa Greek Restaurant: Traditional Greek dishes made with Portland's fresh and seasonal ingredients. Love the lamb chops. 
  • Petite Jacqueline: A great French bistro in Portland. Go for the escargot.

Hugo's Restaurant is a drive away from Portland, but they serve Native Maine whelks, chowder with cod tongue, cod cheek, cod belly, cod loin and raw lobster with orange glaze, anise and apple wood smoke, are just some of my favorite treats at Hugo's. Small plates and portions that won't disappoint.

1. Five Island Lobster Co (restaurant)
  2. Hugo's Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Food Factory Miyake (restaurant)
  4. Caiola's (restaurant)
  5. Grace (restaurant)
  6. Five Fifty-Five (restaurant)
  7. Bresca (restaurant)
  8. Porthole Restaurant (restaurant)
  9. Duckfat (restaurant)
  10. Standard Baking Co (restaurant)
  11. Fore Street (restaurant)
  12. Cinque Terre (restaurant)
  13. Emilitsa Greek Restaurant (restaurant)
  14. Petite Jacqueline (restaurant)

Caitlin from Brooklyn

I grew up in Maine and frequently go back to visit my parents who live 15 minutes outside of Portland. Some of our favorites are - 

The Corner Room Kitchen & Bar It's italian with a wide variety of unique dishes and seasonal specials. From pasta to pizza to meats, every meal is a hit.

Flatbread Company Flatbread pizza in a very rustic setting over looking the harbor. All ingredients are farm to table and the pizza's are cooked in their homemade clay oven. You can side inside or out on their patio and watch the boat traffic.

I saw a lot of the other places I'd suggest were already recommended so I'll stop here.

Have a great trip! 

1. The Corner Room Kitchen & Bar (restaurant)
  2. Flatbread Company (restaurant)

Maggie from New York City

Local Sprouts Cooperative is an awesome, very "Portland" place to grab a cup of coffee or a quick meal. Everything is local and organic, and if you pick the right night, you'll catch some free live music as well. Very cute place.  

1. Local Sprouts Cooperative (attraction)

Matt from Portland (Maine)

Try  Eventide Oyster Co. or  J's Oyster Bar for dessert walk over to  Bar Of Chocolate Cafe 

1. Eventide Oyster Co. (restaurant)
  2. J's Oyster Bar (restaurant)
  3. Bar Of Chocolate Cafe (restaurant)

Jason from Boothbay Harbor

Andreas, Just about any place you go in Portland should have Lobster. For a romantic dinner I would recommend Fore Street or Hugo's Restaurant. Old Port Sea Grill would be a great place to get Lobster. Also, check out Duckfat for lunch. Hope you have a great time. 

1. Fore Street (restaurant)
  2. Hugo's Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Duckfat (restaurant)
  4. Old Port Sea Grill (restaurant)