Peter

Portland, Winston

How is transportation from the Airport to the Downtown area?

I've never been out there and I'm planning on heading out there soon. I was wondering how transportation is from the airport to the downtown area. I'm considering renting a car because I wanted to drive down to the Wildlife Safari in Winston, Oregon for a day trip. But in any case I would still have to return the car and I read in one of the other answers that transportation around Portland is great so it sounds like I wouldn't need a car too badly around town. 

So back to the original question, what would be the best and most cost effective way to get from the airport to downtown?

Public transportation in Portland is amazeballs!  The times I've been there, I've either had a car myself or had friends with cars and we still opted to take public transportation part of the time.  As for public transportation from Portland International Airport (PDX) to downtown Portland, they've got that covered, too!  I just copy and pasted this from a Portland tourism site because they do a much better job explaining it than I would:

The MAX light rail Red Line is the easiest way to travel to and from the airport. Here are some quick facts:

• The trip between the airport and downtown Portland takes about 38 minutes.
  • An adult ticket costs $2.50 (Youth $1.65, Honored Citizen $1).  MAX ticket machines return change in coins, so small bills are recommended.
  • You can roll your luggage on board.
  • The first train of the day arrives at PDX at 4:45 a.m. The last train departs PDX at 11:58 p.m.
  • The MAX station and ticket machines are located on the lower level, next to the south baggage claim area (turn right at the base of the escalator). View airport map.

For complete schedules and more information, visit www.trimet.org/schedules/maxredline.htm.

Here's the page where that comes from and they even have more options if you'd like, but I think the MAX Light Rail's probably the most convenient and cost-effective.

As for going to the Wildlife Safari, I would rent a car for just that trip because it's a three hour drive each way!  You can probably just do a one day car rental in the city and not the airport.

Have fun there and have a Stumptown Coffee Roasters and a Voodoo Doughnuts for me!  Portland's a great city :)

1. Portland (city)
  2. Portland International Airport (PDX) (attraction)
  3. Stumptown Coffee Roasters (restaurant)
  4. Voodoo Doughnuts (restaurant)
  5. Wildlife Safari (attraction)