Tienzai
Portland (Maine)

Portland, Seattle

Cheap accommodation for one person

I will be traveling alone to the west coast for 3 weeks, flying in Seattle and then traveling south up to San Diego. I wonder if anyone can help with suggestion for cheap and reasonable accommodation for one person (less than $20 would be awesome). It would be great if you can share with me how many days should I spend in both these cities. Thank you.

I've done the Seattle to San Francisco drive and honestly, it's all about what interests you. I love the outdoors, so we drove from Seattle to Mount Hood National Forest Mount Saint Helens, then to Portland. From Portland, we drove through Crater Lake National Park, then  Ashland before hitting the I5 and driving straight to San Francisco.

On another trip, I drove from Portland to the Oregon Coast and drove along Hwy 101 all the way down to San Francisco. The portion of 101 from SF to Monterrey is also stunning, so if you have the time and like the beach, this is a GREAT way to go. You can also stop at the Redwood National Park on your way down.

I'd stay in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, and San Diego for 2-3 days each. If you stay for three each, then you still have plenty of days left for travel and spending time in other places.

Once you firm up your itinerary a little more, look for youth hostels, or bring a sleeping bag and camp along the way.

1. Seattle (city)
  2. Mount Hood National Forest (city)
  3. Mount Saint Helens (attraction)
  4. Portland (city)
  5. Crater Lake National Park (park)
  6. Ashland (attraction)
  7. Hwy 101 (attraction)
  8. San Francisco (city)
  9. Redwood National Park (park)

Lynette from Austin (Texas)

Airbnb shared rooms or CouchSurfing would probably work for you. Taking a Bolt Bus between cities is probably the cheapest option for transportation. It only cost me $17 to go from Portland, OR to Seattle, WA vs $50 via train. Although I heard taking the train is more scenic, as long as you sit on the right side of it. My first trip to Portland was only 3 days and I felt like I got a pretty good grasp of the city and culture but Seattle has way more to do. Maybe 5 days should get you pretty acquainted? Stay in Capitol Hill Neighborhood if you can and buy a City Pass for the all museums and stuff!

1. Portland (city)
  2. Seattle (city)
  3. Capitol Hill Neighborhood (neighborhood)

Shari

1. Hawthorne Youth Hostel (hotel)

Jennifer from Austin (Texas)

Definitely check out Airbnb - if you filter by shared room or private room, there should be a few listings within your budget, and you have the added bonus of staying with a local! 

Ketti from Seattle

Hi Tienzai,

I moved to Seattle about 8 months ago, and work in the tourism industry up here, which has taught me a lot about the city! Some places that could be cheap options:
1) Green Tortoise Hostel Seattle(around $30 a night). This hostel is literally right in the middle of downtown, right across the street from Pike Place Market (one of the best attractions in the city)
2) Couchsurfing. If you make an account with Couchsurfing, you can find people who will let you stay at their house. I've done this before, and genuinely you can make some great friends this way, and usually you will get to spend the night for free. You get to choose who you stay with too, so that way you won't end up sleeping over at a creepy person's house.
3) Look up hostels and hotels in the South Lake Union/ Northgate Neighborhood area of Seattle. Those areas tend to offer cheaper accommodations then downtown hotels :)

I would recommend 2 or 3 days to stay in Seattle, also! Check out Pike Place Market (the oldest and largest outdoor market in the US), walk along the waterfront, take the Seattle Center Station - Seattle Center Monorail, and check out the Seattle Center. If you want a good view of Seattle, go to the Columbia Center Sky View Observatory. It is the tallest building on the west coast, and you get a 360 degree view of Seattle. It's cheaper than going to the top of the Space Needle also! And if you like seeing the attractions in a city, look into getting a City Pass. It gets you into all of the major museums, zoos, and city cruises for cheaper.

Enjoy your travels!

-Ketti

1. Pike Place Market (attraction)
  2. South Lake Union (neighborhood)
  3. Seattle Center (attraction)
  4. Space Needle (attraction)
  5. Green Tortoise Hostel Seattle (hotel)
  6. Northgate Neighborhood (attraction)
  7. Columbia Center Sky View Observatory (attraction)
  8. Seattle Center Station - Seattle Center Monorail (attraction)

Ky from Hawaii

For such low cost accommodation I would check out couchsurfing.org, airb&b, and there are even hostels available. 

Bryce from Kamloops

Try a roomshare? something like airbnb.com you can probably find a private/shared room -- or also could search for Seattle Hostels, might be something there --
hipmunk.com is also a good tool

Caroline from Chicago, Illinois

Portland has some great hostels. I would check them out.

1. Portland (city)