Beverly
San Luis Obispo

Beverly from San Luis Obispo asked

Best coffee shops in Portland

I'm visiting Portland for the first time and I want to know where to get my caffeine on!  I hear that the coffee up there is pretty amazing.  Oh, and since I'm visiting during holiday season, bonus points if there are places with special holiday flavors like gingerbread, peppermint, etc.  I'm a sucker for those.  Thanks!

Portland

I agree that Stumptown Coffee Roasters is great. There's a little cafe at the end of Gov. Tom McCall Waterfront Park called the Bean and Tree that serves Stumptown coffee and mixes up really special flavor combinations. My favorite is the Sleeping Giant that has vanilla and ginger syrup, espresso, and steamed milk. They do a great job of catering to your tastes so that my drink was perfectly balanced and not too sweet.

Waterfront park is just beautiful anyway, so it's really perfect to stop by this little cafe, grab a cup, and either sit outside and enjoy the view of the water, or walk along the waterfront.

Beverly
The Sleeping Giant sounds amazing!!! Thank you Tiffany! I'll have to try that!

Eli from Berwyn

Stumptown is a given!  They're a local chain in Portland so they have a few locations and you can also get their coffee at a lot of other coffee shops in the city.  Besides that, one of the coolest coffee shops I've ever to is  Coava Roastery and Coffee Bar.  Coffee's great and I want to decorate my house as they do their shop.

Beverly
Thank you Eli! Sounds like I should go to Coava to get some decor inspiration!!!

Annemarie
This is a great suggestion, Eli. Beverly, here's more info on all of Stumptown's domain: http://stumptowncoffee.com/location/portland/ I didn't include this in my own answer because I'm more into coffee shop atmosphere than the actual coffee, even though it is a great roast.

Eli
Thanks for that Annemarie! I actually haven't been to a Stumptown proper, but I noticed that their coffee appeared to be served almost everywhere in Portland.

Ida from Durham (New Hampshire)

I really enjoyed  Case Study Coffee there.  They used to brew the Stumptown coffee that Lissa mentioned (Stumptown is great!), but now they also brew their own!

By the way, if it's your first time in Portland, you also have to have a donut at  Voodoo Doughnuts!

Beverly
I've heard of Voodoo! Thank you Ida!!!

1. Case Study Coffee (restaurant)
  2. Voodoo Doughnuts (restaurant)
Alana from Spokane

As others have mentioned, you have to get some Stumptown coffee.  They're actually pretty big in Washington where I live and I have Stumptown coffee all the time.  Here's a secret, though... when I used to live in Portland, I pretty much called Coffeehouse Northwest home, and I hate to admit this because I drink Stumptown all the time, but... I prefer Coffeehouse Northwest over it, so give them a visit if you can!  

Just so you know -- I'm a coffee snob, so I think that Stumptown will satisfy many coffee lovers' palettes, but I just find CN's brew more complex.

Beverly
Now I'm intrigued!!! Thank you Alana! I'll have to try both!

1. Coffeehouse Northwest (restaurant)
Matt from Placentia

Nossa Familia Coffee  

Best coffee ever.

1. Nossa Familia Coffee (attraction)
Jamie

Definitely Ovationin the Pearl District. I had the Moroccan Latte and it was such a treat!  

1. Ovation (restaurant)
  2. Pearl District (neighborhood)
Nicole from Etobicoke, Ontario

Coava Coffee Roasters is top notch but there are many more outstanding coffee shops! 

Stumptown Coffee RoastersCase Study CoffeeSterling Coffee Roasters

Also - if you are looking for other things to eat/see in Portland the rest of this guide includes top food trucks, breweries and restaurants! https://goo.gl/k9cHz2 

https://goo.gl/k9cHz2

Michael from Tucson

You have to check out Stumptown Roasters! Locally roasted and now starting make their mark in the Pacific NW. Amazing flavor, smooth. 

Beverly
Thanks Michael! With so many people suggesting it, I will!!! :)

Annemarie from New York City

All of the shops listed here are awesome. I like Coffeehouse Northwest but anywhere that serves Stumptown is a safe bet.

Beverly
Thank you Annemarie!! I'll check out both coffees!!!

1. Coffeehouse Northwest (restaurant)
Lissa from Portland

Two standouts are  Nuvrei Patisserie & Café on NW 10th Avenue and  St. Honoré Boulangerie.  If you are a coffee purist, be sure to try Stumptown brand, it so much better than Starbucks!

Beverly
Thanks so much Lissa!! :)