I don't like franchises, what are some great local spots in downtown Portland?
Soooo many options. Where are you staying? I ask cuz there could be a dozen different amazing restaurants and food carts within walking distance. Portland Monthly Magazine just put out their September (food) issue. Also check out this link http://www.travelportland.com/article/portland-foodies/. This is just a smattering. Welcome to Foodie Heaven! Good luck;)
1. Absolute must is Tilt for burgers, literally the BEST burgers in Portland.
2. 10 Barrel Brewing has the best beer- if you like IPA's then get their Pearl IPA and its way cheaper to buy a pitcher of beer there.
4. Hopworks Urban Brewery (a pizza and beer spot) has a great lunch time menu, large pieces of pizza and beer for super cheap.
5. Olympic Provisions is great for breakfast and they have bottomless mimosas for breakfast.
6. THE BEST FRIED CHICKEN OF YOUR LIFE is at Screen Door. They have been rated best restaurant in Portland many times. The wait can get crazy though. They open at 6PM and close at midnight. I would recommend going and waiting in line at 5PM (because there will be a line) or go late at like 9 when the crowd begins to die down.
7. Fire On the Mountain Buffalo Wings has great beer and wings.
Mentioned in this answer: