Jim

Playa del Carmen

Looking for recommendations for authentic and quality food and attractions

My wife and I are taking a 5 day trip (not counting travel days) to Playa del Carmen with a group of friends. We are staying at an all inclusive resort and will be spa'ing and golfing for the most part.

If you have been there and were to go back, what are the things you would do to make it a great experience? Is there anything we should avoid?

We value authentic experiences, good food and drink, good service, and enjoy outdoor adventure & discovery (snorkel, hiking, kayaking, SUP, mountain biking, safari's, historical tours).

Thanks in advance!

Melanie from Oregon

If you are renting a car then I highly recommend a drive up to Puerto Morelos (about 15 minutes from Playa). Puerto Morelos is a cute little fishing village with a wonderful plaza in the center of town. If you visit, eat at La Panza es Primera (the stomach comes first)! The Enchiladas Mazatlan are amazing!

I also recommend a visit to Akumal for snorkeling. Exit off the main highway and drive straight to Half Moon Beach--turn left and follow the road until you reach Yal Ku.  The snorkeling is incredible! Get there early in order to rent a small hut with hammocks that opens directly to the water. 

1. Puerto Morelos (city)
  2. Akumal (attraction)

Cristóbal from Puerto Morelos

My favorite place for eating in Playa del Carmen is El Cantil De Los Tiburones, pretty far away from touristy area: the best seafood in town (trust me, I'm from Veracruz.)

What I should avoid for sure is the crowds, so stay away from the parks such as XcaretXplorXel Ha, etcetera. You probably could drive all the way down to Muyil and try some of the activities community has to offer like kayaking and stuff you might be interested. For mountain biking there's a place in Playa called Teknobike where you can rent mountain bikes and they even will take you off road in a circuit. 

There's many places to visit, hope this helps. If you need further assistance just drop a line!

1. Playa del Carmen (city)
  2. El Cantil De Los Tiburones (restaurant)
  3. Xcaret (attraction)
  4. Xplor (attraction)
  5. Xel Ha (attraction)
  6. Muyil (attraction)
  7. Teknobike (attraction)

Renan

Of course you have TulumChichen Itza.

But a magical experience is to swim with turtles in  Akumal , you can see things like that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATFWjclGR1o

An other great thing to do is to go to  Cozumel to rent a scooter for the day.

1. Tulum (city)
  2. Akumal (city)
  3. Cozumel (island)
  4. Chichen Itza (city)