Brianna
Minneapolis

Playa del Carmen

Favorite bars/restaurants/snorkeling spots in Playa?

My husband and I are headed to Cancun in March and will take a day trip down to Playa del Carmen. What are some favorite bars and restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Also, snorkeling spots? Any other tips welcome! We wanted to vacation in Playa, but Cancun fit the budget better this time. Help us maximize our time in Playa!

Jennifer from Austin (Texas)

Cozumel for snorkelling  - watch out for rip off tours! 

Breakfast: La Cueva del Chango - Chilaquiles is a must + their house green juice 

Lunch: Los Aguachiles - best tacos! 

Dinner: Almirante Pech 

Beach clubs (see and be seen): Mamita's Beach ClubKool Beach ClubZenzi - ~100-120 MXN to rent a chair and umbrella 

Beach club (relax in peace): Mahekal Beach Resort - 300 MXN day pass 

Honestly you can make a day of just walking around/ shopping /eating/beaching which I'd recommend over the snorkelling in this area :)  

Hope this helps! 

1. Cozumel (attraction)
  2. La Cueva del Chango (restaurant)
  3. Los Aguachiles (restaurant)
  4. Almirante Pech (restaurant)
  5. Mamita's Beach Club (attraction)
  6. Kool Beach Club (attraction)
  7. Zenzi (restaurant)
  8. Mahekal Beach Resort (hotel)

Chloe from London

Hey! I lived in Playa del Carmen for some of 2014. I posted lots of stuff on my site that could be useful http://www.chloegunning.com. Also recommend Akumal and Yal-ku for snorkelling around there. It's about 30 mins south of Playa but worth it as there are turtles there! Have an amazing time!

1. Playa del Carmen (city)
  2. Akumal (city)
  3. Yal-ku (attraction)

Moy from Montreal, Quebec

Hello! The night club that is a MUST is the Coco Bongo! You cant miss that spectacle! And for snorkel I recommend you to take the ferry from Playa del Carmen (at the end of the 5th Ave) to Cozumel island. Once you get off the ferry you can hire one of the snorkel boats in there!

1. Coco Bongo (attraction)
  2. Cozumel (attraction)