Courtney

Places on the edge?

Not quite sure why but ever since I started traveling I've wanted to visit a place like Preikestolen in Norway where the mountain's steep drop makes you feel as if you're on the edge of the planet. For the same reason I've also wanted to see Devil's Pool at Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe where swimmers can swim right up to the edge of the falls. Don't know what it is about me and things on the edge, but there's something I find really fascinating about anything that seems to be teetering on the precipice.

So, how 'bout it? What edge of the world attraction would you like to see?

Claudia from New York City

I would like to visit the Socotra Archipelago - four islands and two rocky islets near the Gulf of Aden in Yemen. The archipelago is known as the Galapagos of the Indian Ocean. The main attraction for me are the unique trees like the blood dragon trees and the desert roses.

Here are 2 articles to find out more about Socotra: http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/31/alien-island-of-socotra-where-the-trees-are-20-million-years-old-6340148/ and http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1263

Today, it's near impossible to visit these islands. War, difficulty in geting visa and lack of transportation are among the few problems potential visitors would face when planning a trip there.

1. Socotra (attraction)

Zoe from Chicago

Galapagos Islands - though I hear about how too much tourism has hurt the islands and many other areas around the world so that gives me pause. Easter Island and Palau are on my bucket list. Also I hear IcelandIceland is quite on the edge. It's also surprisingly not a long flight from the Midwest/East Coast of the U.S. - closer than I imagined.

1. Galapagos Islands (attraction)
  2. Easter Island (island)
  3. Palau (country)
  4. Iceland (country)

Kristin from New York City

Hiked to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park Rd. You are quite literally on the edge as you scale the granite monolith. It's intense!

1. Half Dome (attraction)
  2. Yosemite National Park Rd (attraction)

Willis Tower Skydeck. l eat at the top of the John Hancock Building next to the window and that is edgy.

1. Willis Tower Skydeck (attraction)
  2. John Hancock Building (attraction)