Valerie

Pittsburgh

What's the best neighborhood in Pittsburgh for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Pittsburgh and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Pittsburgh is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

David from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Downtown is in the midst of a major transformation in Pittsburgh. There are a number of hotels to stay downtown and all of them will be pretty comparable in price. And if location is what you're after, that would be my first recommendation. Hotels such as the Omni William Penn Hotel offer a more historic presentation of Pittsburgh whereas Hotel Monaco Pittsburgh, a Kimpton Hotel offer a more modern, progressive one. I would recommend walking to the Strip District where you will see the open market and some amazing food from pretty much every region of the world.

1. Omni William Penn Hotel (attraction)
  2. Hotel Monaco Pittsburgh, a Kimpton Hotel (hotel)
  3. Strip District (neighborhood)

Becky from Pittsburgh

I live in Pittsburgh, and I prefer 3 different neighborhoods. From there, you can decide which sounds most appealing. 

-Shadyside - cute streets to walk around, tons of places to eat and shop. 

-South Side Flats - lots of bars and restaurants and close to Downtown. Can be crowded with students though

-Cultural District downtown - cute area of Downtown with lots of trendy restaurants and places to catch a show. Close to North Shore and Point State Park for some typical Pittsburgh activities. This is probably my favorite area.  

1. Shadyside (attraction)
  2. South Side Flats (attraction)
  3. Cultural District (attraction)
  4. Point State Park (attraction)

Sharyn from Pittsburgh

Would love to help..but it's a tough question.  Pittsburgh is bigger than it appears, made up of lots of smaller neighborhoods with their own "specialties" including restaurants, shopping, etc.  What are your interests and reason for coming?? Hotels are really spread out..would depend on your main interest.  Downtown has a few lovely(&$$$)  ones that would put you close to(&usually able to see) the sports arenas & our rivers - while further out would be around the universities and medical centers. And just a bit further - our large parks, Kennywood (recognized as a historical site).  If you could be more specific - I'd be glad to answer.

1. Kennywood (attraction)

Brad from Pittsburgh

I would stay in town so you could walk most anywhere.  Depending on your price range there are many options. Fairmont Pittsburgh Hotel is very central.  Located just next to Market Square (bars, restaurants, and a farmers market every Thursday) Then there is the Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown on Penn Ave that is closer to the strip district and its markets, restaurants and bars plus wholesale food stores. The Courtyard is also near the theater district and there are plenty of restaurant and bars on Penn Ave.  Emporio at Sienna Mercato is right across the street and has a roof top bar with sliding roof.

If you want some real style, the Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel is beautiful, elegant and still not far from Market Square, the theater district or anywhere in the downtown area.  You can always catch the "T" over to Station Square for more restaurants and bars.  There is a Sheraton Pittsburgh Hotel at Station Square there with a good view of the city, but not as centrally located being across the river.

Have a safe trip.  We look forward to seeing you in the 'burg.