Camille

Pittsburgh

First time to Pittsburgh, what are things a first time visitor has to do?

This will be my first time to Pittsburgh and I want to know what is one thing I can't miss? I have limited time (one day) to explore so I want to take in what the city has to offer. Up for all suggestions :) 

Make sure to drive into downtown through the tunnel. The tunnel opens onto a bridge the crosses the rivers.  One of the most stunning entrances to a downtown you'll ever see.  Take the Mt Washington funicular (Duquesne Incline) for more great views.  The Carnegie Museum of Natural History was one of my favorites when I was little, and I still find it enjoyable.  Spend some time walking around the history, and very Polish in nature, Strip District.  And don't miss out on ordering the traditional sandwich at any Primanti Bros. location-one of the best and most unique sandwiches you'll ever have.  I like to add a little hot sauce to mine!

Lastly, I have to throw a plug in for my cousin's little restaurant.  Awesome food, all made from scratch, and great ice cream at Gibby's Good Eats 'n Treats.

1. Mt Washington (neighborhood)
  2. Duquesne Incline (attraction)
  3. Carnegie Museum of Natural History (attraction)
  4. Strip District (neighborhood)
  5. Primanti Bros. (restaurant)
  6. Gibby's Good Eats 'n Treats (restaurant)

I found downtown to be amazing. Just walking around. Very cool place.

Becky from Pittsburgh

I suggest going down to Point State Park and enjoying the view of the three rivers. It's so peaceful and beautiful on a nice day. If you have time, take the incline up to Mt Washington for a gorgeous view of the city. The Andy Warhol Museum is nice, as is the Senator John Heinz History Center. Enjoy!

1. Point State Park (attraction)
  2. Mt Washington (neighborhood)
  3. Andy Warhol Museum (attraction)
  4. Senator John Heinz History Center (attraction)

David from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

If you want to explore during the day, on the weekend, head to the Strip District. Blocks of markets and street vendor food as well as restaurants and bars. If you are there on a weekDAY, I would go up to Mt. Washington to Grandview Ave. Take the incline. If you're there on a weekend and want to go out at night, the Cultural District downtown has great restaurants and there is a lot going on now that the weather has broken (also Pens are in the playoffs so the crowds will most likely be bigger than normal). Other areas in general to see: Market Square, Lawrenceville, Southside (college area), Northshore (near the stadiums - we recently got Southern Tier to open up a brewery here - great atmosphere. All new developments). I would not recommend Primantis - sandwiches are average at best. Not the greatest representation for what Pgh really has to offer in terms of food. Have fun! 

Breanna from Los Angeles

Hi Camille! I would definitely make it a point to get to the Andy Warhol Museum! It's one of my favorite places in Pittsburgh. And for dinner, do yourself a favor and get a reservation at Cure - it's one of my absolute favorite restaurants in the country!

1. Andy Warhol Museum (attraction)
  2. Cure (restaurant)