Kelly
Massachusetts

Phone service outside of US?

Just found out that my phone carrier does not cover internationally and I'm leaving in a few weeks. I have no clue where to go from here. How can I use my phone without signing up with a new carrier? Do I have any options?

Plenty!  Buy a sim card in the country you're travelling to (at the moment the network *Three* in Ireland is selling a pack of 3 sim cards for €20 which includes €20 call credit) or use an app like WhatsAPP to make calls or texts using wifi. The other option is to buy a pre-pay phone with some credit, when you arrive, that you can top up as-you-go, online. You can pick up a cheap phone for about €50 and use your current phone for data using wifi.

Jeff from Boston, Massachusetts
You can make Skype calls to actual phone numbers whenever you get a Wi-Fi connection. Is there a real need to have full phone service when you're on vacation? I like not having anything competing for my attention when I'm out experiencing a new place.

John from New York State
It really depends on which country you are visiting, but as mentioned previously, you can purchase relatively cheap pay as you go plans in most countries.

Alice from Simi Valley

Try Viber you can only use it when you have wifi but it works with texts 

Greg from Chengdu
In many countries you can get short term SIM cards from local carriers that will give you mobile data and phone service.  I have bought these in France, China, Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Nepal.  I know my current country, Latvia, also offers them.  You can usually get them at the airport of arrival.