Danielle
Phoenix

Danielle from Phoenix asked

Where to stop with young kids on long road trip?

We are crazy enough to drive from Phoenix to Pensacola (stopping in Austin overnight for 2 nights.) This leaves 2 long days of travel. We are hoping to do a lot of the driving at night while the kids are sleeping, but wondering of any great places to stop to get some energy out?
Playgrounds, fun restaurants, open area... anything really. Seems like besides Austin, New Orleans, etc. there is a lot of dead space.

Phoenix (Arizona) Pensacola (Florida)   New Orleans (Louisiana)   Austin (Texas)   Tucson (Arizona)

Matt from Allentown, Pennsylvania
Oh Honey, bless your heart! I have driven that route (actually Sedona to Orlando) and I hate to say it but it was grueling and there were not many good places along the way. It took us four days, I thought we'd NEVER get out of Texas. I don't know how you will make the trip in two, but who knows, maybe you drive at warp speed. You might look into Las Cruces, NM and El Paso. Those looked like they might be somewhat interesting. San Antonio could be fun (Riverwalk) but you'll be in Austin instead so I wouldn't detour there. The kids would enjoy the beaches around Gulfport, but then you're almost to Pensacola and there are great beaches there too.
New Orleans. You'll need it by then.

Danielle
Thank you so much! Yeah not sure if we're crazy or dumb haha! We have done this drive before but basically straight through (no kids obviously.) It was quite awhile ago and all I remember was a lottttt of Texas in the middle of nowhere haha! I think we will look into Las Cruces - I briefly just glanced now and seems like it might be a good stopping point depends on what time we leave. (Planning on driving through night.) Thanks for your reposnse!