Dea

Phoenix

Best restaurants in Phoenix?

My parents are renting a house in Phoenix for a family getaway and we want to find some great places to eat! What are your favorite restaurants or "must eats" that Phoenix is known for? We aren't picky, just looking for the best spots from cheap to fancy.

Phil from Arcadia

Eaten all over Phoenix and have been satisfied but rarely impressed.  Pizzeria Bianco definitely didn't disappoint but still, probably not worth a significant wait.

1. Pizzeria Bianco (restaurant)

My favorite spots in Phoenix are:

Pig & Pickle - The menu rotates constantly, but it has a few mainstays like mussels and a hanger steak. The soups are pretty amazing. Service is always great, too. There's a pretty extensive list for beer, wine and cocktails ... and it's the only place I know of that offers three different meads! I was just there the other night and had a smoked pot roast. The dessert menu mainstay I like best is the strawberry vinegar pie. I know it sounds weird, but try it!

Jobot Coffee - Great place for lunch. I've had better coffee (like at Royal Coffee Bar and Cartel Coffee Lab), but Jobot's food items make it worth a trip.

Brat Haüs - This place is a ton of fun - a long tap and bottle list, plus some really exotic twists on bratwurst (lamb, rattlesnake, wild boar, etc.). Desserts are OK, but I'll mention a place below that's near it, and has far better desserts.

The Parlor Pizzeria - This is the my favorite fancy wood-fired pizza in the Valley, and the sides, salads and other items are also excellent. The chefs here are really committed to fresh, seasonal, local ingredients. My personal go-to is a pie with bacon, mushrooms and sage. Now, if you want a more relaxed pizza, check out one of the handful of Spinato's Pizzeria locations.

Cornish Pasty Co - There are multiple locations for this one, too, but this is the original. Think of a homemade gourmet hot pocket and you have the idea. I never get the same pasty twice in a row, and I usually work my way through 5-6 on different visits before repeating. The desserts here are also my favorite, especially the chocolate bread-and-butter pudding. Show up hungry.

Cafe Lalibela - OK, I haven't been to Ethiopia. But I've been to all sorts of cities with Ethiopian restaurants, and this one is still my favorite. I usually get a vegetarian combo plus an order each of asa (fish) wat and lamb wat.

Beaver Choice - You'll never hear about this crazy Swedish-Canadian-Polish place from anyone but a local! I lean toward the Swedish selection myself, with the Swedish hash being my favorite. But I haven't had anything here I didn't love. It's all especially good during winter. It's a really friendly place, by the way.

Craft 64 - This is the place for people who love good beer ... and a dessert, pizza or charcuterie plate to go along with it. If you're from out of state, this is the best place to try Arizona beers. Very few of its selections are from out of state. BTW, they swiped the longtime pizza chef from Pizzeria Bianco (which I've honestly found to be overhyped and overrated). It's still a decent pizza, though I consider Parlor far better. The salads are pretty solid here, too. Excellent service, as well.

1. Pig & Pickle (restaurant)
  2. Jobot Coffee (restaurant)
  3. Royal Coffee Bar (restaurant)
  4. Cartel Coffee Lab (restaurant)
  5. Brat Haüs (restaurant)
  6. The Parlor Pizzeria (restaurant)
  7. Spinato's Pizzeria (restaurant)
  8. Cornish Pasty Co (restaurant)
  9. Cafe Lalibela (restaurant)
  10. Beaver Choice (restaurant)
  11. Craft 64 (restaurant)
  12. Pizzeria Bianco (restaurant)

Every time Jacey and I go to Phoenix, Pizzeria Bianco is a must. Go to the Flagship Vending on Adams St downtown.   If you are eating lunch there, try to go a little early, or a little later. If you plan to go for dinner, get there early, or be prepared for a wait. No reservations.  On top of having unique pizza's, I think Chris Bianco is an incredibly nice and gracious person.  The only pizza I would  tell you to manipulate, is to add mushrooms to the Wiseguy.  Our favorites are the aforementioned, the Rosa, and Sonny Boy, though it's hard to go wrong.  

1. Pizzeria Bianco (restaurant)
  2. Flagship Vending (attraction)

Anthony from West Covina

Order a Velvet at Lux Central and a Mozzarella Tomato Basil sandwich at Pane Bianco for a solid lunch outing. 

1. Lux Central (restaurant)
  2. Pane Bianco (restaurant)

Mary Ann from Phoenix

If you are looking for where the locals go, try Keegan's Grill. Excellent food, friendly staff and inexpensive. I think there are 3 in valley. We frequent the one in Awautukee. Enjoy your stay

1. Keegan's Grill (restaurant)

Hi Dea-I'm going to add a few to my husband's excellent recommendation and description of Pizzeria Bianco...

I love the outdoor patio at Chelsea's Kitchen-surrounded by trees and lovely flowering plants.  They have a unique, creative menu of excellent fresh food.  I always get the shaved brussels sprouts salad with Manchego cheese.  Also a big fan of Culinary Dropout-their pretzel fondue appetizer is one you'll crave days after you leave.  They also have an excellent creative-your-own meat and cheese plate.  If you are downtown, it's sister restaurant The Arrogant Butcher has the pretzels but a completely different menu-all excellent.  Over in Scottsdale, try Olive & Ivy-love the different bruscettas and the patio along the creek.  They also have a wonderful take-home counter.  The vibe is so fun at The Vig-fun menu and you can play bocce ball.  Lastly, if you want surprisingly good hotel food with the absolute best view/patio in Phoenix, head over to the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort and wind your way up to Different Pointe of View.  They have an outstanding wine list (with a hidden cellar built into the mountains).  Grab a table in the spring or fall when evenings cool down near a fire pit and watch the sun set!

1. Pizzeria Bianco (restaurant)
  2. Chelsea's Kitchen (restaurant)
  3. Culinary Dropout (restaurant)
  4. The Arrogant Butcher (restaurant)
  5. Olive & Ivy (attraction)
  6. The Vig (attraction)
  7. Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort (hotel)
  8. Different Pointe of View (restaurant)

Ronelle from St Maarten

If you have any interest in Mexican try The Mission great atmosphere and amazing guacamole right in Old Town Scottsdale.

I also enjoy Citizen Public House always consistent, great food and fun drinks.

Sanctuary Camelback Mountain has Elements (restaurant), & Jade Bar.  Go at sunset, great view!

I'm beginning to love Flower Child and Chelsea's Kitchen is always a good stand by.

I like Justin's answers as well: Pig & PickleCartel Coffee LabCornish Pasty Co

Trying to keep this brief, I could go on and on!

Enjoy the Valley of the Sun!

1. The Mission (restaurant)
  2. Citizen Public House (restaurant)
  3. Sanctuary Camelback Mountain (hotel)
  4. Flower Child (restaurant)
  5. Chelsea's Kitchen (restaurant)
  6. Pig & Pickle (restaurant)
  7. Cartel Coffee Lab (restaurant)
  8. Cornish Pasty Co (attraction)

Brian from Gig Harbor, Washington

In Scottsdale,Toro Latin Restaurant & Rum Bar is very good. High quality food, good service, elegant setting, with a nice view of the golf course.

Also in Scottsdale, Mastro's Ocean Club is fantastic. They specialize in Seafood and Steaks. Amazing food, atmosphere, and service. Be sure to wear something nice, make a reservation, and be prepared to spend some $ as this place is pricey. Order their special Cosmo Martini for a fun surprise.

1. Toro Latin Restaurant & Rum Bar (restaurant)
  2. Mastro's Ocean Club (restaurant)

Joe from Tempe

If you are going to try Mexican since you are in Arizona:

Casa Reynoso - Tempe AZ    Classic Rural Arizona food by mom and pop owned restaurant

Juan Jaime's Tacos and Tequila  - Chandler AZ   Different style with a focus on their tacos and they have lots of tequilas. Near the Chandler Fashion Mall.

Other restaurants:

I second Cornish Pasty Co and Chelsea's Kitchen.  I would also recommend the Richardson restaurants, like Rokerij, Dick's Hideaway and Richardson's Cuisine of New Mexico all are in the same area.

1. Arizona (state)
  2. Casa Reynoso (restaurant)
  3. Juan Jaime's Tacos and Tequila (restaurant)
  4. Cornish Pasty Co (restaurant)
  5. Chelsea's Kitchen (restaurant)
  6. Rokerij (restaurant)
  7. Dick's Hideaway (restaurant)
  8. Richardson's Cuisine of New Mexico (restaurant)