Shannon
Shanghai

Philippines

What are your favorite destinations in the Philippines?

What areas do you recommend? Any particular places to stay? I'm looking for something that isn't super pricey for going with my husband from Shanghai in October.

Danyelle from Philadelphia

Some one recommended El Nido, Palawan to me and I'm really glad I listened and made that one of my destinations. It's not the easiest to get to, but well worth it. Just be warned, it's cash only and there's no ATM in the town. I did two of the tours that are commonly offered and then paid for a boat to take my group to a beach we liked on the third day to just do our own thing. Great little town to come back to, enjoy good food and grab drinks. Everyone was really friendly too. I also thought the rice terraces in Batad was an amazing experience. My brother and I did a three-day trek through the terraces and stopped at some of the villages throughout. It was tiring and difficult at times, but something I'll never forget.

1. El Nido (city)
  2. Batad (attraction)

Pejay from Davao City

I love Boracay Island. It's a pretty small island, but there is plenty of stuff you can do.

You can relax at the beach, do water sports and party at night.

1. Boracay Island (attraction)

Pie from Philippines

Hi Shannon,

with ample time, you can still get decent prices if you're heading in the Philippines by October. I believe that still part of the non-peak season so rates at hotels & resorts are cheaper than March to May.

the rainy season is here, its raining all day today & yesterday and rainy season usually ends in November.

I usually dont travel in the eastern parts of Luzon & Visayas (where Boracay is located) during July to November. However, Mindanao (Camiguin, Davao City, Samal, Cagayan de Oro & Bukidnon), western parts of Luzon and Palawan are still great places during these months.

If you have twitter, you might want to follow dost_pagasa for weather updates

overall, I hope you and your husband will have a great time.

Oh and if you have questions especially about Filipino food & restaurants, please do not hesitate to contact me. :)

1. Luzon (attraction)
  2. Visayas (attraction)
  3. Mindanao (attraction)
  4. Camiguin (attraction)
  5. Davao City (city)
  6. Samal (city)
  7. Cagayan de Oro (attraction)
  8. Bukidnon (attraction)

John from Calbayog

I don't know your definition of 'super pricey' but a good place with things to see and I like going to is Baguio City.  It's up in the mountains and although easy to get to, it's usually an adventure just making the trip.  The downtown area is rather crowded, but outside of that it's not so bad. Palawan and Boracay Island really, really nice, but that 'pricey' may be a problem there.   Lastly I will mention that the island of Cebu has many resort and a diverse lifestyle for all to enjoy.  Even Cebu City is okay, much better than Manila.  You can even choose to fly into Mactan, which is the airport on Cebu and just skip the big nasty and dirty city of Manila all together.  I hope you have a great time no matter where you decide to go.

1. Baguio City (city)
  2. Palawan (attraction)
  3. Boracay Island (attraction)
  4. Cebu (island)

Random from Seattle

Look into Bantayan Island. Have many recomendations on where to stay depending on what you are looking for...

1. Bantayan (city)