Sam
Israel

Philippines, Manila, El Nido, Puerto Princesa City, Cebu City, Bohol

Visiting the Philippines in January 2015

Hello Friend

My friends and I getting ready to visit the Philippines in January 2015

I already have an orderly plan Manila trip ... First
Then visit El Nido and Puerto Princesa travel then
Cebu City and Sinulog Festival 

And visit Bohol - the famous chocolate hills and lovely Terceiro

Friends, will you advise us more about those places?

And you want you can meet us in the Philippines

We will be happy to hear from you!

Eugeny from Astana

Try Oslob for whale sharks watching. Not so far from Cebu.

1. Oslob (attraction)

Andy from San Francisco

I just came back from a 2 week trip to the Philippines. Since I used to live there, this trip was more about seeing friends in Manila and attending a wedding on Boracay. 

There is a lot to see in Manila. I don't know how much time you have, but here are a few areas you can spend some time in. 

Old Manila

This is the oldest section of Manila and it's a good place to see the history of the country. The best area for that is Intramuros. Intramuros is a series of old forts and cathedrals built by the Spanish when the Philippines was still a Spanish colony. You can easily find walking tours of Intramuros online. Carlos Celdran gives the best tours, but I hear he's currently out of the country. You can try oldmanilawalks.com. 

In old Manila you can also find markets where they sell all sorts of stuff that are made in China. Besides the knock off handbags and watches, you can find all types of amusing and befuddling items. Just make sure to haggle with the vendors, but don't expect them to give in too much. 

Makati:

Makati City is the business center of Manila. Here is where you'll find most of the major banks, and most of the large office buildings. Makati is also home to some of the best malls in the city. Since Manila's social life revolves around the malls, having good malls is a big deal. 

Greenbelt is one of my favorite malls to go to. It has 5 sections, Greenbelt 1-5, but I mostly hangout in Greenbelt 3 and Anthem - Greenbelt 5. Here you'll find some great restaurants and bars, and some really good shopping. Last week I had a party for about 40 of my friends at Tapella by Gaudi, where we shared many bottles of wine over tapas and paella. 

There is also the Ayala Museum, which usually has a decent collection. Right outside the museum is M Cafe where a good portion of the expat community hangout on Tuesdays and Thursdays. 

Beyond the malls you can also venture into Legaspi and Salcedo Village. Both these areas are dotted with nice condos and good restaurants. I just ate at Balkan Yugoslavian Home Cooking a few days ago. 

On the other side of Makati you can find Burgos St. Here you'll find the "girlie" bars and the adult entertainment venues. However, be careful who you talk to because not all of the girls are girls. Oh, and you can catch some midget boxing at Ringside Bar

A little bit beyond Burgos is Rockwell. This is probably the most expensive area in all of Manila to live. It is centered around Power Plant Mall. My friend put it best when he called Rockwell a bubble. Entering this area is like going through a portal into an urban resort. 

Bonafacio Global City:

Bonifacio Global City AKA Fort Bonafacio AKA The Fort is the newest and fastest growing part of Manila. The city is built like many Western cities with it's crisscrossing streets and avenues. There are lots of open spaces and to walk around and relax. But they are still in the middle of the malls. 

The Fort is where you'll find the best partying in Manila. The best and biggest clubs are in this area. I just attended the opening of a brand new club called Valkyrie 2 weeks ago. It was by far the biggest club I've been to. Prive Luxury Club is another popular club, and it's known as a more after hours place. 

There is a lot more to Manila but you can pretty much spend all of your time in the above mentioned locations. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

1. Manila (attraction)
  2. Intramuros (attraction)
  3. Makati City (city)
  4. Greenbelt 3 (attraction)
  5. Anthem - Greenbelt 5 (attraction)
  6. Tapella by Gaudi (attraction)
  7. Ayala Museum (attraction)
  8. M Cafe (restaurant)
  9. Legaspi (attraction)
  10. Salcedo Village (attraction)
  11. Balkan Yugoslavian Home Cooking (restaurant)
  12. Burgos St (attraction)
  13. Ringside Bar (attraction)
  14. Rockwell (attraction)
  15. Power Plant Mall (attraction)
  16. Bonifacio Global City (attraction)
  17. Prive Luxury Club (attraction)

Therese

Hello! If you plan to go to Cebu for Sinulog festival, I suggest you book your hotel rooms early as accommodations tend to jack up that time since it is peak season. Be prepared to walk alot as well during the actual parade day. Think Carnaval in Brazil. 

If you have time to explore Cebu after Sinulog, you may also go to the beach. Try Bantayan Island, Malapascua Island-> more suited for diving,Camotes Islands or even Mactan-> nearest from Cebu City among the three. I recommend Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu as it has a nice beach front or Plantation Bay  or swim with the whale sharks in Oslob

Don't forget to try Cebu Lechon (Rico's, CNT,etc.) too

1. Bantayan (city)
  2. Malapascua Island (island)
  3. Camotes Islands (attraction)
  4. Mactan (attraction)
  5. Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu (hotel)
  6. Plantation Bay (hotel)
  7. Oslob (attraction)

Keith from Denver

Bohol is also a good place to do some dolphin watching--here's a link to a company that organizes tours: http://whales.bohol.ph

Also, the Bellevue Resort Bohol and the Peacock Garden Luxury Resort & Spa are two hotels you might want to have a look at. 

1. Bohol (attraction)
  2. Bellevue Resort Bohol (hotel)
  3. Peacock Garden Luxury Resort & Spa (attraction)