Antoine
Singapore

Philippines, Angeles City, Manila

Best season to see rice fields terraces

Wondering what the best season is to pay these wonderful sights a visit?

+ Starting from Clark Airport, which is in Angeles City an hour north of Manila.  Are 5 days enough?

Emily from Los Angeles

Hi Antoine - great trip choice!  The rice terraces are awesome! For the area of the Philippines north of Manila, I believe the rainy season is the summer, so it may be best to avoid that. I went around February and had great weather!

5 days should be good, even if you count one day on either end for travel (though there are overnight buses if you like!).  The bus rides are indeed quite long and winding. Some routes/times offer luxury buses which charge a little more for a little more luxury, and are sometimes a little less crowded.

I was coming from Sagada and took a jeepney into Banaue.  I stored my bag at a guesthouse there, just taking a small overnight backpack to Batad. A small jeepney got me most of the way up the hill to the top of Batad.  From there, you can do small or big hikes around the Batad Rice TerracesI did a quick hike to the waterfall my first afternoon and the next day went on a full-day hike from Batad back to Banaue.  The all day hike was pretty intense, so I would recommend taking it a little easier if you have the time.

The lodgings in Batad are basic, but I really enjoyed my stay. After dinner some of the women in the village came by offering traditional tribal massages - mine was incredible and I think was the only reason I survived the next day's hike! 

Good luck and have a great time!

1. Philippines (attraction)
  2. Sagada (region)
  3. Banaue (attraction)
  4. Batad (attraction)
  5. Batad Rice Terraces (attraction)

Between november and april you should have the best weather as this is not hurricane season in the Philippines.

Coming from Clark Freeport Philippines you should head northeast to see the Banaue Rice Terraces.

You will need to take a bus from there and you will probabply have to change bus in Baguio City when going there.

It's a bit of a long bus journey but you should be able to do it in 5 days.

1. Clark Freeport Philippines (attraction)
  2. Banaue Rice Terraces (attraction)
  3. Baguio City (city)