Wanda
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Philippines

2 weeks to the Philippines, what to do?

I have 2 weeks in September/October and want to go to the Philippines. What would you recommend to do and not to miss here in 2 weeks?

Thanks! :)

Pie from Philippines

Hi Wanda!

The Philippines has its share of typhoons during the months of September/October BUT that doesn't mean we cant travel... I usually book my travels from June to November (wet season in the Philippines) but still get some gorgeous views from Boracay Island (June), Davao City (August & September) with an island hop to Samal, Cebu City (June & July) with a side trip to Mactan Island. Bacolod is a charming city - check out The Ruins, this is also famous for Masskara festival during October. I've been to Camiguin in November, though it rained during one afternoon, the night was a cool breeze and the mornings were sunny, not to humid.

I book my flights during these months because of cheap airfares but I always have a back-up plan in case a storm comes in.

Weather has been unpredictable, just last week we were expecting a storm which never happens during the dry/summer season.

Just a tip, check out dost_pagasa via twitter as they give up-to-date weather info

If you dont mind some rains, The Philippines is paradise! If you have time, check out Palawan's Coron (diving & safari), El Nido (huge rock formations, twin islands and numerous beaches) and Puerto Princesa - Palawan has 1,000+ islands. Not too crowded is San Vicente (Palawan), with a beautiful 13 to 14 km beach aptly called Long Beach.

Luzon - Zambales with various beaches, Mt Pinatubo Crater Trek, Vigan City - heritage sites, Banaue for rice terraces.

Visayas - Panay Island where Boracay in Aklan is located, Iloilo with gorgeous islands. Guimaras Island produce the most succulent mangoes. Dumaguete a tranquil city, good walk, good food. 

Bohol- Chocolate Hills, Panglao Island, Anda. 

Davao Region - Dahican Beach in Mati Davao Oriental, Banana Beach resort in Tagum - the only beach resort in a banana plantation.

Batanes is an enthralling island but not a good time to visit during Sept/Oct, you might get stranded due to typhoons.

Oh and don't forget to try authentic Filipino food (not just the super oily, too much salt, too much sugar street foods). Adobo, Lechon, Bagnet, Kare-Kare, Halo-Halo, Leche Flan are some of the delicious dishes and desserts you can savor!

enjoy! :)

1. Boracay Island (island)
  2. Davao City (city)
  3. Samal (city)
  4. Cebu City (city)
  5. Mactan Island (attraction)
  6. Bacolod (city)
  7. Camiguin (metro area)
  8. Coron (city)
  9. El Nido (city)
  10. Puerto Princesa (attraction)
  11. San Vicente (Palawan) (city)
  12. Long Beach (attraction)
  13. Luzon (island)
  14. Zambales (metro area)
  15. Mt Pinatubo (attraction)
  16. Vigan City (city)
  17. Banaue (city)
  18. Visayas (attraction)
  19. Panay Island (attraction)
  20. Aklan (metro area)
  21. Iloilo (metro area)
  22. Guimaras Island (island)
  23. Dumaguete (city)
  24. Bohol (attraction)
  25. Davao Region (state)
  26. Dahican Beach (neighborhood)
  27. Banana Beach (attraction)
  28. Batanes (island)

ENRIQUE Jr. from Philippines

Definitely check out the beaches although september/october are part of the rainy season here. Boracay Island if you like to party although i would say the best beaches could be found in Palawan. Also check out Bohol and Bantayan in Cebu.

1. Boracay Island (island)
  2. Palawan (city)
  3. Bohol (attraction)
  4. Bantayan (city)
  5. Cebu (metro area)

Jae from Singapore

Fly into @Cebu instead of Manila if you can, especially if you plan to go to @Boracay to enjoy their spectacular white sand beaches. You can end up spending all two weeks just going around the beautiful island of @Palawan.  

Give extra time to get back to the airport you'll be flying out of since bad weather and unreliable transportation options could delay your movement.

Carole from Paris

Hi! We went to:

Manila (for Intramuros and the oldest Chinatown in the world- though I doubt you're missing out by not visiting it)

Banaue Rice Terraces - definitely a MUST, one of my fondest memories

Hop over to Palawan and go to El Nido, superb beach and snorkeling- definitely recommend it. Since you'll most likely fly back to Manila from Puerto Princesa, I'd suggest to go to the Iwahig Penal Farm.

I've written many travel posts from our trip in the Philippines with photos included - check it out if it can help you make a decision for your trip!

http://www.ooaworld.com/two-weeks-itinerary-in-the-philippines/

1. Manila (city)
  2. Intramuros (attraction)
  3. Banaue Rice Terraces (attraction)
  4. El Nido (city)
  5. Iwahig Penal Farm (attraction)

Samantha

You have to go to Palawan! There's a lot of must-go beaches there like Coron and El Nido. If you prefer beaches which are not that developed yet, one of the places I can think of are Caramoan or Calaguas. I haven't been but I heard Siquijor is really nice too!

If you prefer mountains, Mt Pulag for the sea of clouds or (quite rugged) Batad for the the rice terraces.

1. Palawan (city)
  2. Coron (city)
  3. El Nido (city)
  4. Caramoan (city)
  5. Calaguas (attraction)
  6. Siquijor (city)
  7. Mt Pulag (attraction)
  8. Batad (city)

Try not to have a too tight schedule that time of year as it's still hurricane season and domestic flights might be cancelled for a few days every now and then.

Unless you insist on going to the beach then I would recommend the northern part of Luzon, which is the main island on the Philippines.

Towns like Banaue Rice Terraces SagadaVigan City are really nice towns and if you want to head a little south of Manila then you could visit the Taal Lake which is very nice too.

1. Banaue Rice Terraces (attraction)
  2. Sagada (region)
  3. Vigan City (city)
  4. Manila (city)
  5. Taal Lake (attraction)